I am 13 and I recently retracted my foreskin for the first time. I found it would not retract past the head. It is stuck to the head in some places, and is connected to my penis by a string of tissue. There was also a build up of smegma, which I cleaned. Could someone please tell me when I can fully retract my foreskin? I am worried that there might be smegma below the head which I can't clean. All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Health Guru
Hi
Well just want to say you doing the right thing and yes it is natural to be stuck to the head in places, the best time to pull it back is when you have a bath as you start pulling it back more then it will release from the head.
The string of skin you say about is the frenulum, one thing you dont seem to say is if it is tight or easy to pull back as a lot me boys struggle to get it back because its tight and painful.
If you would like more advice just ask :-)

Thanks a lot for the help! The frenulum
is quite tight. I would like to know what happens to it, does it go away eventually?

Health Guru
When you are able to start pulling the foreskin right back then in time with some help the frenulum will stretch

It sounds like you have some fusions that have not yet released.

Baby boys are born with the inner layer of the foreskin fused with the surface of the underlying glans penis. This is natural, normal, and protects against infection. Over some years the fusion spontaneously disintegrates and releases the inner foreskin. This usually happens prior to puberty, but not always.

It is not uncommon in adolescence to have the inner layer of the foreskin still fused to the glans penis. It is not a serious problem.

Apparently, your foreskin has not yet released, although it probably is about ready to release due to your age. You can try peeling the foreskin away from the glans penis to see if you can break the remaining fusion. Do it carefully and little by little. It may take you several tries to get it all.

When you tear the foreskin away, the head will be red in color, where the separation occurred, for a while. Put some Vaseline under your foreskin to prevent it from re-adhering to the head.

If you can’t get it to separate by pulling on it, a urologist can help you. It is called “lysing”. Don’t let anyone sell you a circumcision. It is not necessary and extremely harmful.

The string of tissue is called the frenulum. It is normal and it is supposed to be there.

There probably is smegma behind the fused area but it is harmless and not hurting anything. When the fusions break you can clean it then.