Hello everyone,

I have an undiagnosed condition which started three years ago, in December 2009. My family doctor doesn't take me seriously, so I am switching to another doctor soon. I'm male, 26 years old, non-smoker & non-drinker. Blood pressure on average 130/80, pulse rate around 70. I am 6 foot 1 tall, and weigh around 214 pounds (97 kg).

My symptoms:

- Head pressure (especially around the temples)

- Feeling my heartbeat pounding in my head (i don't hear it, but i definitely feel it)

- Massive eye floaters in both eyes (always present)

- Light sensitivity (always present)

- Slight blurry vision from time to time (depending on the severity of the "head pressure")

- Eye pain (also depending on the severity of the "head pressure")

What makes it worse:

- When I eat something very salty

- When I am very nervous, or very angry

What makes it better:

- When I press on my temples

- When I tie a piece of cloth around my head

- Diazepam 5mg

Worth mentioning:

- No fatigue (i have a lot of strength & energy)

- No appetite loss

- No sleep problems

A detailed history of my condition:My problem began in December 2009 as just a strange feeling in my head. I started to literally feel my pulse pounding inside my head. This was accompanied by a feeling of pressure in the head, especially around the temples and around the eyes. It felt like extremely high blood pressure, but only in the head. I ignored all of this, thinking it's something that will go away quickly, but I was wrong.

After a couple of months, in the spring of 2010, the head pressure decreased somewhat, but then I began to have eye problems. There was a dull tension-type pain, first in my right eye, then in my left eye. This type of eye pain is very difficult to describe: A strong tension/pressure type of pain, which feels exactly like the pressure in the entire head. This lasted for several days, and then comes the worst part: massive eye floaters in both eyes, accompanied with light sensitivity. The eye pain went away, but the floaters & light sensitivity remained, as well as the head pressure. The floaters & light sensitivity are always present, 24/7, so it's definitely not a migraine.

The problem "stablized" in the summer of 2010, and remained very stable or "tolerable" I should say. Head pressure reduced by more than 50%, no eye pain, and only 5 or 6 floaters. Then in October 2012, for unexplained reasons, the whole thing came back with a punch. The pulse pounding in the head, the head pressure, and the eye pain all increased about threefold. Then a few days later, new eye floaters came along (more than 10 new floaters!). Now the whole thing is somewhat stable, but definitely not as good as it was before.

Why was it "ok" for more than two years, and then came back like this? The only thing I can think of is bodybuilding. In October 2012 I began to lift weights, mostly benchpress, and about a week after that, the problems began to intensify. This is the only thing I can think of that might have played a role.

Here are the exams I have had done in the past few months:

- Extensive blood work, including TSH test (thyroid function): all clear, except for somewhat high cholesterol (255)

- Abdominal ultrasound: completely normal

- Ophthalmoscopy with dilated pupils: no retinal tears, no holes, no damaged blood vessels

- VEP (Visual Evoked Potential) test: completely normal

- Carotid doppler ultrasound: completely normal (I really insisted on the carotid doppler ultrasound, because of the feeling of high blood pressure in the head.)

I didn't have health insurance for a long time, which is why I started to see doctors only a few months ago. Now, I have learned to control this condition by avoiding salty foods, avoiding stress, and avoiding weightlifting. By "controlling" the condition I mean preventing it from getting worse. But nonetheless I want to know, and absolutely have to know, what is causing this problem, and how to treat it.My family doctor does not want to do an MRI or a CT scan. He thinks this is all stress related without any physiological causes whatsoever, which I think is completely absurd, and this is the reason why I'm switching to another doctor very soon. In any case, my questions are as follows:

1.) Is it possible that these symptoms could be caused by a deformity of the neck and/or the spine? I have had a really terrible posture since I was a little kid, but my family doctor (as well as my neurologist) dismisses this idea, saying there's no chance it could cause these problems.

2.) Is it worth doing a contrast-enhanced thyroid ultrasound?

3.) Should I do an electrocardiogram & treadmill stress test?

4.) What medical exams would you recommend me? MRI? CT? If so, exactly what kind of MRI? Cervical? Head only? Whole body? I really don't know much about this subject.

5.) Is it possible for the eyes to really be healthy, but for a person still to experience floaters & light sensitivity, for example because of something neurological?

If there is anything at all you could say about this topic, I would really appreciate it. To this day I am not able to find on the internet one disease that has all of these symptoms. The whole thing really feels as if the blood pressure in my head is extremely high, but obviously that's not it. I would very much like to know if you were in my shoes, what exams you would like to have done.

Thank you very much!

Eraphim

You've got high blood pressure hun.

You didn't read the post hun. My blood pressure is 130/80, and even a much higher blood pressure wouldn't cause the symptoms I am experiencing.

I have to ask...do you get swelling in your cheeks (face) along with excruciating pain with these headaches? Have you checked to see if your pupils are restricted when you have the eye pain?

No, I don't have any swelling in my cheeks, and no excruciating pain either.

My pupils aren't restricted when I have the eye pain. The eye pain is connected to the head pressure somehow, and it is very difficult to describe. It is not a typical eye pain, but rather a muscular tension-type pain. Hard to explain.

Now I have learned to control it by avoiding activity which raises the blood pressure in my head, such as heavy weightlifting for example. Either way, I will continue to go to the doctors to find out what causes this. If anyone else has any insight, I would love to hear from them.

Does anyone else have any insight?

Hi Eraphim, any answers on your symptoms? My husband has been feeling the exact same way and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. Hope you get to feeling better!

Have you ever been exposed to mercury? It  can cause numerous problems. Dr. Richard Schulze is someone for you to research.

I suffer from exact same thing feel free to get in touch if you want to talk rod 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I suffer from the same things. Head pressure, visual disturbances, eye floaters, visual snow, after images. Cat scan, stress test, blood work done multiple times nothing apparently is wrong. Doctors just want to prescribe medication for anxiety which I do not want to go on. Have you done any drugs? I did mdma binge for a whole summer everything seemed to happens after that. Have you ready about hppd ? It's caused by drug use and it's what ive diagnosed myself with being no doctor could diagnose me. If you find anything out please let me know.

I am having the same symptoms and just read someone's comment on another post about the same subject saying that it could be a neck problem. I have the same symptoms and now I can feel that It all started with a neck pain. So you all might want consider that and probably see a doctor to check up your neck.

I have the exact symptoms you describe after mdma use. Did your visual symptoms ever resolve and if so after how long?

I have the same symptoms you described after using mdma. Did your symptoms ever resolve and if so after how long?