Hello there! My mom told me that grandpa has fluctuating psa readings, and I didn’t want to ask anymore questions because she was so upset, and the thing is that I have no idea what fluctuating psa readings are and I was hoping that maybe there is someone here who can explain this to me.

Hi! PSA is a protein manufactured in the prostate. The prostate glands manufacture this protein in large numbers. PSA levels in the blood go up if the barrier between the epithelium and the bloodstream is damaged. There are three typical causes to this: cancer, bacterial infection, and prostate infarction. The PSA level in the blood can vary by about 20% from day to day. Normal PSA should be from 0 to 4, but men after 50 with smaller prostates should have psa reading below 2.4, and men in their seventies with large prostates have normal psa of 5.6.