I'm planning a BPH surgery. Can somebody advise me the best procedure? TURP, HOLEP or Green Light? 

Hi Cocoli,

Your urologist is your best resource.

TURP is very effective, tissue is cut away.  HOLEP is usually used on "larger" prostates in which a laser burns away tissue.  "Green Light" is another type of laser that melts away tissues.

Which one is best depends upon the size and shape of your prostate.  Your general health also plays a role.

Your urologist and/or the surgeon should discuss all options with you.  Sometimes the doctor will perform a cystoscopy to evaluate the prostate, bladder, and urethra.

You can always get another opinion.

Good luck in your surgery.

Actually, a friend of mine has been suffering from BPH as well but later he has got this condition cured by a Chinese herbal medicine called diuretic and anti-inflammatory pill. According to him it takes 4 months (ooh, sounds long) for him to let the medicine work out and the other unpleasant thing is about the diet. Anyhow he was quite satisfied with its effect in getting rid of his ailment completely. Maybe you could google it and have a look. I hope this may help you, good luck!

HoLEP Go to VanderbiltUntiversity or Mayo Az or Mayo Rochester...or Indianaplolis to Methodist Urology. Dr Lingeman
Dr M Humphreys at Mayo Pheonix

PLEASE CONSIDER NON RE CAUSING PROCEDURES: On July 23th of this year I underwent HoLEP surgery at the Mayo clinic. Prior to this surgery I meet with several different Urologists to discuss options. During these discussions Retrograde Ejaculation (RE) was mentioned and I was told it was a “dry orgasm” in which the ejaculate would flow back into the bladder and not out of the penis as it normally would. I asked how this would feel and was told it would feel about the same as it currently does. After my surgery I have discovered that RE is not anything like a normal orgasm. It is very unpleasant and it is very devastating to my emotional and mental outlook on my future life and sexual experiences. It is also permanent and cannot ever be reversed. I feel I have made a terrible decision and that my sexual pleasure for the rest of my life has been ruined. I do not know if I will ever adjust and comes to terms with this tragic event. I realize that every patient responds and will adjust differently. However there are hundreds of comments in health forums all over the internet from men who feel as I do. Some want to take their life and others have actually killed their doctor. I only mentioned this to make a point about how devastating this “side effect” can be to some men. I feel the RE condition is downplayed way too much in discussions with the doctors. Had I received more information regarding the possible feeling, adjustment to and outcome of this condition I would have chosen a different treatment option and not be totally devastated by my current condition?

All of the surgical treatments can cause RE as do some of the chemical treatments. Most people find RE not to be a problem. Seems that the ones you refer to have a mental problem.

Dear Cocoli: Keep it simple-go to the best: Dr. Lingeman or Mayo Clinic. I went to Lingeman-excellent outcome. It is worth the trip and time-Dr. Lingeman is warm, personable and very competent. I am 1 year post HoLep and am thankful.

I am going April 27 2015 I think it the best way to go. it will not interfere with any kind of sex..Had the try orgasm because of pill My bladder hurt after and there not fun......ask your doctor before you have anything cut Ken