Hey there... I am just been told I am diabetic. Lovely.  I also don't understand the blood test they took..  It's called A1c.  What is this blood test and what does it mean?  Does the A-1-C stand for something?  I was told mine was 12.3.  What does that mean?  I take my blood sugars and they are a lot higher than 12. 3.  What are the differences in the numbers about?  It's funny cause the doctor wants this number to be LOWER.  Like 5 or 6.  How do i get it to go to those numbers?  How does that relate to the A1c?  I have been told to watch my carbohydrate grams and to start exercising.  I am a bread lover and this is going to be hard for me to do.  I am going to have a time gettign on this diet and staying on it.  I also crave chocolate and sweets.  I am going to die without this stuff.  I am told by the doctor about the implications of diabetes but I don't have any signs of anything. 

HbA1c means the following:  Hb for Hemoglobin;   A means "adult" and the 1c is a minor component of hemoglobin to which glucose is bound. The HbA1c is referred to as glucosylated hemoglobin because of the glucose tendency to bind with it.  I am sorry to hear you are diagnosed with diabetes.  Your HbA1c value is really high and you should take it very seriously.  It reflects the fact that you are at high risk for diabetes complications in the future.  You should take steps to lower it by getting your blood glucose numbers within a normal range.  

You can still get your “sweets” through sugar-free pudding and other products that are low in carbs but are tasty.  You will curb your cravings for sweets once you eat fruits as well. 

Good day there. Been there, seen that! God, I just can't describe you how scared I was when my doctor told me that I have problems with it. My doctor first told me that I have lower hemoglobin A1C levels and he mentioned this test. So, generally, trust me, I did so many things and so many researchers, and generally, the term refers to glycated hemoglobin. It develops when hemoglobin, that you already know that is a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout your body, joins with glucose in the blood, becoming so-called - 'glycated'. Don't worry, you can control it. How? Well, when the body processes sugar, glucose in the bloodstream naturally attaches to hemoglobin. 

HbA1c in simple words: the sugar in your blood likes to attach himself to other things in the blood. One of them is to a part of the red cell , the hemoglobin. If you have a lot of sugar in your blood you will have more sugar linked to the hemoglobin, if you have less sugar you will have less hemoglobin attached with sugar. How much hemoglobin should be attached with sugar and be considered good for a diabetic? Ideally less than 6% of your hemoglobin should have sugar attached to it. That's why we say HbA1c (sugar ttached hemoglobin) should be less than 6%. And why does it show the last 3 months average? because red blood cells take in general 3 months to be destroyed.