Hey everyone,

I'm 20 and this has never happened to me before: I've been experiencing brown and pink spotting for the past four days, during the time that's exactly in the middle of my cycle. From what I've read, the spotting began at the time I should be ovulating (it's been 9-12 days since my last period).

My concern though is that it's been, as stated, four days now. I've also been breaking out, which is something that only happens during my period. Normally during this time my complexion is better than it normally is. Is this still ovulation bleeding? Maybe an early mini-period? Something else?

If it helps, the days leading up to the spotting have been more than usually stressful for me, and I had been running on little sleep and lots of caffeine which I don't normally do. However, when the spotting began to occur is when I began to relax, but obviously by the second day I've been an anxious mess again. Could this be prolonging it?

As for the blood itself: it's always been very thin and watery, sometimes brown and pink. When I used the tampon, there has been some actual red blood on it. It also has been light.

So how long is spotting suppose to go on for? Should I be concerned? Could I be pregnant?

Mid cycle "mini" periods are VERY common, especially under stressful situations, changing your pills etc.

You mention pregnancy, have you recently had unprotected sex? Let me know that and I can help you more. Also when was the dates of your last period. I need both dates too determine the chances etc.

The pregnancy thing is a bit tricky since I'm technically still a virgin but my boyfriend and I engage in other activities that'd allow for external release of semen (never on me though). So yes, by some bizarre chance I could be pregnant if semen got on me and we weren't aware, but this is unlikely due to how careful we are, as noted.

Also, I'm not on the pill. I'm glad to hear that the mid cycle periods are common. I was concerned because this started with brown spotting and now has shifted into actual red bleeding. I'm still overly anxious though, which may be affecting my hormones? %-)

Yeah you are NOT pregnant at all. So it will be intermitent, this happens ALL the time. Sometimes your period doesn't come, then all of a suden WHAM!!! THey can be all over the place, so just try and relax and it will come when it is supposed too. Our minds are incredible things, and we can even make ourselves have pregnancy symptoms - it's called "Hysterical Pregnancy" With the belly growing etc. It is amazing - unless you're going through it of course!! So your nomral and congratulations on being a virgin still. This is growing movement and I am ALL for it! Good luck and health!

Oh thank goodness! I'm just glad to get a bit of reassurance. I think the one thing that scares me more than anything is getting pregnant at an unduly time. I guess having stress as a factor for this mini-period shouldn't be surprising. Anyway, thank you so much for your help! :-)

Your welcom hon! There is a LOT of research into all the hormones that we put into our body everyday and the effect it is having on both sexes. REALLY young girls as young as 7 are getting their period!!! Young teenage boys are have Erectile Dysfunction!! And women are going into menopause earlier and earlier. So even though women and girls have always had wonky periods - here and there different time etc - it is now happening at alarming rates. Plus the amount of stress we are all under as well is a HUGE factor in stopping our periods. So good luck and just try to relax. Glad I could help!

i thought you might be able to help me . I had what i would consider spotting, i would pee and when id wipe there would be light pink or light brownish "blood" on the toilet paper but when i would where a pad it was always clean no blood or anything, I had my period around the 30th last month and was supposed to get it the 3rd of this month, i have unprotected sex. and have been trying to get pregnant. should i wait and go to a doctor for a test. all home pregnancy tests i take come up negative. can you help me understand this.

Sounds like an std

Me and my boyfriend had a little of a game last month. I got my periods about 15 days after that on 31st April. It lasted for 3-4 days and I was back to normal. Now, 10 days after my period ended, I am having brown spotting together with some mucus like discharge. Not as much as my usual periods, just a spot or two in a day. Its the third day today and increasing as days go by. I am worried. Please HELP!!

Hi ladies I am 32 and I have been having pink / reddish spotting for the last 5 days. I am only in my mid cycle of my period. I had sex with my husband on the 10 th day of my cycle and started spotting 15th day and continuing to
spot and I am into my 20th day. Any idea what might be happening to me? Is it too early for implantation to happen?

I have this too ttc for number 2 aswel it's so frustrating! Have booked appt for doc but not u til next week

I have the same thing happening to me. Did you ever get any answers?

I have almost the same condition as u, I'm 35. I'm relived to know that it's common in women. I have polyp as well whixh also could be causing this but it's been 4days and I was very anxious