I have been having recurring UTIs for the past two or three years, ever since I became sexually active. Usually they occur during periods of frequent sexual activity, but sometimes they seem to happen for no reason at all. This most recent infection seems to have died down somewhat, in that my urine is no longer cloudy and pain is almost completely gone; however, intense itching now occurs whenever I urinate and obviously, I can't scratch the itch. I've read a few other threads on this forum and seen some people suggest that itching of the urethra can indicate an STD; my husband, however, is fine, and I certainly haven't been playing around. Additionally, looking up the listed problems (chlamydia, yeast infections, etc.) didn't match up, symptom-wise. The only symptom I have is itching and burning when I urinate. QUESTION: What could it be, and should I go and see a doctor about it? Having spent a little while this evening researching UTIs, I was surprised to discover that antibiotics are available, as my doctor never mentioned them, even when he was made to understand that I'd had something in the order of 13 UTIs in the past three years. Would antibiotics help with the itching? Also, I've been advised by both doctors and friends/family to drink Ural whenever a UTI occurs, and it does seem to help somewhat - but it's a urinary alkalinizer, and I read elsewhere on this site https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/article.php?mode=view&hpr=Urinary_Tract_Infections_in_Women__Why_they_occur_and_how_to_treat_them_&article_id=619&forum_id=119 that you should try to AVOID alkaline substances...? Mind you, I can see the sense in it, as cranberry juice is acidic and that definitely helps, but why is Ural recommended if it does the exact opposite? Would love some advice! Many thanks. :-)

"Cranberries have been shown to help prevent recurrent urinary tract infections, but not because of their acidity. They contain chemicals that prevent bacteria from sticking to urinary tract cells."

from:

ask your doctor about antibiotics.
and ALWAYS pee after sex.
my anatomy instructor explained this: the penis is alkaline and your genitals need an acidic environment. when you urinate after sex, it helps return this environment back to its acidic pH. when you don't urinate after sex, you are more suseptible to yeast infections and UTIs.

I read that when you make your urine more alkaline it discourages bacterial growth and eases bladder pain.

Ive never tried Ural and never had it recommended to me or been told to alkalinize my urine when I had an infection. I've always went to the doctor, got antibiotics and drank tons of cranberry juice(or took the equivalent of cranberry AZO).

So Go To the Doctor. If your fam dr is just shoving you to the side, get a referral to a urologist. If you don't get this taken care of it can lead to more serious problems, creating scar tissue which can increase your chances of bladder cancer.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have the same problem. I am prone to urinary tract infections. I am currently enduring one right now, but it seems to have died down some. Now I have insatiable itching. They always suggest STDs, but I know that isn't the case in my circumstances, either. Now the problem is whenever I take the antibiotic, it gives me a yeast infection, which is the leading side effect of the medication. (WTF, right?) So, I don't even want to bother, but what is causing this itching?! I've done my research, too, and itchiness is never connected to UTIs according to the websites I've read.

The itching is most likely a yeast infection- almost every time I get a UTI I get a yeast infection afterward- this is caused from taking the antibiotics for tge UTI

I am also suffering from UTI right now. I've already researched about UTI and I found out that there has to be no itching if you have UTI. But almost all of my friends who have UTI experience the same situation (their vagina itch after urinating).so I thought we have the same problem. My main concern is why do I have watery-yellowish-greenish discharge after I urinate or I f I try to exert more effort in urinating. I am afraid about this. I'm planning to see the doctor this Monday.

Try chopping up garlic and swallowing it; if there's bacteria it'll kill it. It tastes horrible, but it's better than nothing.

I'd actually recommend that while you are on antibiotics, you eat plenty of yogurt, as it helps prevent a yeast infection. Antibiotics kill bacteria, both the good and the bad. Yeast infections don't occur when the right bacteria are present. Yogurt can help restore the bacteria while you take your antibiotic.

Im having the exact same thing! I get UTIs about once a year or so, but never had a yeast infection at the end of anti biotics, or atleast that's what I think it is. Its itchy around my uretha but sometimes not just when I pee, its not irritating or painful, but noticeable and would prefer it if it went :/

You are just having a yeast infection. Use lactacid femenine wash to ease the itchiness. You can drink Cranberry juice, you can also drink fresh coconut juice it helps a lot in flushing down bacterias. And of course, have plenty of water. We sometimes forget but water cleanses our bladder. So drink up! Make sure you always take care of yourself. Wash if you feel dirty. Change napkins/panty liners more often.

Itching immediately after you finish urinating is common when the UTI is caused by E. coli bacteria. You may also have itching throughout the day when you are not urinating. This is a pretty serious UTI and definately requires antibiotics, I hope that you were treated with them at some point or it will keep recurring and keep getting worse and possibly become a systemic infection and you could end up septic.