I just read something on the internet that recurring urinary tract infections can cause infertility if left untreated. Is this true? I'm now worried because I have had recurring urinary tract infections. I had one at eight. Then I had one at eighteen. Then running to the bathroom at night started at 23 years old and has been recurring for almost ten years. I finally went to a urologist when I was 26 years old. Urologist #1 had me go through a sonogram and a cystoscopy and told me I had a narrow and tight urethra, which causes urine to be pushed back into the bladder causing infections. He put me on a antibiotic, detrol, and a dietary supplement and I thought all was well until a few days later I was running to the bathroom more then ever. I called him and he told me that this was a chronic thing. But it didn't go away. I got frustrated and gave up. Then I was going to bathroom at night again and went to Urologist #2 who did a urodynamic study and found not only do I have a tight urethra but a bladder that contracts only small amounts of urine at a time. He did put me on ditrophan for a while and it has worked. If I had known that this was really going to be a chronic thing, I would have looked into the fertility cause right then and there but I and especially my parents thought that there was going to be some pill that would just cure this thing and I would be fine. I have been trying to get pregnant with my husband since November and so far I still have my period every time. Part of the problem is that neither of us have had experience with sex before we met each other and got married and then when we did got married we hardly did it for almost a year but now we are. And honestly there are a lot of things going through my mind including him being the possibility. But I'm not ruling it yet. But now I'm thinking since I am due to see the urologist again in February and my gynecologist in April, I really want them to make sure that urinary tract infections haven't affected my fertility. And I want my husband checked out to make sure that he is okay too. Otherwise, we are going to be disappointed. And I'm written here several times before and I have gotten responses from various parents and women who have gone through the same thing that I have had. Honestly sometimes I think doctors really don't understand about a young womens urinary tract. Have any of you noticed that when you go to the urologist office and you see a lot of much older people such as the elderly? No offense to the elderly but you should think about it. So there has to be some training these doctors should go through to help them understand the female urinary tract and make a young woman feel that she is not alone in this problem and may be try to find ways for them to deal with the problem. I want to go to urogynecologist; however, there is none under my health plan. Or maybe now that I'm under my husband's plan maybe I should look into this. It frustrates me that nobody really understands what is going on. I even read about surgery or having rods put in but that is going to be lifetime thing just like the UTI's. Maybe some of you women know what I'm talking about. If I were to choose any other career it would be urogynecology because there are too many women like me out there with urinary tract infections, which sometimes left untreated and we are the ones that end up staying up late not because of going out or partying or studying but running back and forth to the bathroom only to have only a small amount of urine come out every five to ten minutes and it is worse right around the time we get our periods too. Do any of you experience that? What do any of you think?

i am 17 and since i can remember i have had horrible urinary tract infections. Whan i was about 4 i a procedure done that was suppose to cure it, but once i reached the age of 12 and started my period i have had at least one a month, sometimes more. It is so frustrating trying to sit through a high school class having to run top the restroom every 5 mins, the teachers look at me stupid, and kids think im pregnant. I am worried about this affecting my ability to have kids when im married and ready. im not sure what to do. or if this is a possiblity? can this really ruin me being able to have kids? please help

I am 30 and have had UTI's since I was just an infant, almost every few weeks for years. It was a constant thing and am now having issues getting pregnant, have been trying for 2 1/2 years now. i do not think that you will have trouble though, you have not had enough of them, and as long as you are getting them taken care of right away, I can't see it affecting anything. Like I said, i have been getting them almost every few weeks since i was young, so my issue is a little different. Keep your head up, you should be just fine! :-)

I have been getting UTI for my entire life as well, but only the last 3 years have been really bad. I just went back to the doctor and my UTI's are antibiotic resistant, so the whole time I kept thinking that the infections were gone, but the symptoms were just masked. Needless to say the infection has spread to my kidneys now. Me and my finace have been trying very hard for the last 8 months to get pregnant and no such luck. We both have children from previous relationships and had no trouble conceiving with either of our other children.

^what is it doing to your kidneys? i might have the same problem.

I was wondering the same thing, since I've been having chronic UTI's since I was a Senior in Highschool. Now I'm married and I'm really worried that if I don't go to the doctor and get it seriously checked out that I might become infertile. And it means alot to my husband, I really don't want to let him down. 

Some of my doctors told me that chronic UTI's could also be linked to diabetes, don't remember the reasoning for this, but it might be a good point to bring up to your doctor. 

I am 19 and a type 1 diabetic. Ever since i became sexualy active (a yr ago) i have had a lot of problems with this.

I have had 4 UTI's since I was 18, I'm only 19 now. They usually come once a month, about a week after my period ends. I go to the doctor every few weeks for urine tests and all they do is put me on antibiotics.. they never help me find the root of the problem. The infection will be cured for no longer than a month and it will occur once again, a week after my period. I tell the doctors about this pattern and I have done EVERYTHING to prevent this- health supplements, wipe front to back, cranberry juice/pills, Vitamin C, drink water all day everyday, avoid alcohol as much as possible.. I seriously have no idea what the cause is. I got my first UTI about a month after I first became sexually active, and they went away for about a year. They came back this summer and have been reoccurring every month since July. I am tired. I am exhausted of having to go through this cycle and pain, every month. Not to mention, I worry it will affect my future fertility. I'm only 19 now, and I haven't decided if I want kids yet. But I do want to have that choice. I think every woman should. People don't realize how much annoyance and pain a UTI can bring to your life. I want to live a normal, healthy life, and I want this problem to go away..  but I fear it never will.

I was born with kidney reflux by the age of 4 i was suceessfully treated. I had no problems till 12 yrs old from then i had recurrant infections literally every fortnight, i was on long term trimetheprim then i became used to them i now take macrodantin nitrofuratin full time. Ive had 2 uretheral dilatations. One was last feb and the one before was a yer before. Im now waiting for another reeferral for a urology scan. Im now 18, ive been suffering for 6 years. Im fortunate not to have any scaring on my kidneys. Im worried about conception for the future. Has anyone had any experience on my level of infecctions etc?

Im 22 and have delt with reocuring UTI's sense I was about 4. But I dont think it is a UTI any more. Every time I go to the Dr. they just give me anti biotics that I then become emun to and the process starts all over again. Its extremely painful. I know the regular symptoms of UTI "burning while urinating, cloudy urin...ect" no my pain feels like someone is stabing me in my vagina every time. I would only get them about every 6 mon but every sense I gave birth to my little girl, which was a C-section, I get them every  mon when I have my period. They ruled out indemetryosis, and they finaly came up with a name to diagnose me with, Inner ctysal cystites. But they still cant figure it out. I have been through multiple tests, surgiers and still not relief. Even a high dose of hydrocodone or morphine cant stop the pain. I even had to go to the hospitle about 4 years ago and had pylo. It gets so bad and still have yet to find an answer. It affects my life tremendously, Im going through nursing school and it makes calss almost unbarable. Also Im in the army so if I have field training its very difficult to stay in the field for more than a week....

So if anyone had any ideas, other than what I have already tried, Im game....

I decide to contribute to this thread because of my experience, I practice Natural Medicine with focus and specialty on Sti/std, when a people with sti/std contact me with complaints of PID(Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) Some Staphylococcus/Trichomoniasis/Chlamydia/Epididymitis etc , i would prepare a natural therapy for them , after usage they contacted me that the Infections are no more and more-so they have conceived after years of Infertility as a results of the named above Infections, The first woman complained about Staphylococcus , i Treated her and her husband with my Natural therapy after a month i was surprise and shocked when the lady called me Jubilating on Phone that she went for test and the doctor confirmed her pregnant after years of Infertility.

Secondly another lady complained about vaginal Discharge and itching in her Private parts, she has been looking unto God for the fruit of the womb for years as well , little did i know , to me i wanted to treat the above mentioned Problems(INFECTIONS) , After a month and two weeks , she was confirmed Pregnant , today she called me that she has a baby Girl Named Timileyin, she was full of Joy and the most Surprising statement was the question she asked me , she asked , Does the Natural Therapy Medicine i gave her solves the Problem of Infertility too?I do not know what to say because it was not Primarily for that , both women have been trying to conceive , used different Medications .Little wonder i am also surprise myself , is this a Miracle or what?God Almighty is my witness , the two women have there babies as i talk ,that is the truth , i am happy and glad , i am neither a Pastor nor a Spiritualist but i am a bible Believing Christian .

I want to be of help to women,couple looking unto God for the fruit of the womb, and i know God would do more.

Both women are not member of my family as well .The two evidences are 1 Million % Truth .Apart from the Infertility issue i have good Testimonies of people that have received Solutions to there Infections.

I use Just on Natural Plants/Roots/Stem .

If the Above Testimonies and Evidences are Fabricated and lies let God Almighty In the Name of Jesus Christ Visit me with his Wrath.

God Bless All.

My email is _[removed]_

have you thought about ,lesions or scarring that sometimes happens after a c section,sometimes they have to go back in and fix it.

I'm not sure whether any of you have tried hiprex or not, but I first got sexually active with my boyfriend a few months ago, and since then I would get a uti straight after sex every single time. Being a 19 year old girl who does have frequent sex, you can imagine how inconvinient and not to mention painful this all was. I went to four separate doctors and each prescribed me an antibiotic to take to get rid of the infection, and offered me the same standard advice: 'pee after sex', etc. I followed their advice but it all went to waste, the infections returned as per normal.
I hadent had a uti prior to having sex, and although I had kidney reflux as a child, it was fixed and the doctors said my kidney had restored itself.
I don't like the thought of being on antibiotics constantly, and was honestly lost in terms of what to do. I read endless forums, and decided to try vitamin c 500mg tablets. It was such a lucky coincidence that the pharmacist recommended 'hiprex' which is an antibacterial, NOT an antibiotic. Taking both vitamin c and hiprex at the same time has since removed all uti's and their symptoms, and I haven't had a uti for a long time. I do take it twice a day because I have sex almost daily, but after research on hiprex there doesn't seem to be any negative effect in taking it for the long term. I honestly can't think of anything else that would've helped me, and medical professionals seem to skip the mentioning of this fantastic product that could potentially help a lot of people out there if they knew about it.

I'm kattie and I'm 15 Ive had uninary tract effections since I was 8 and I'm missing my period every 3 mouths I'm going for more tests this week and I was wondering if u could help me. Does too many urinary tract effections cause u not to have children ? Plz help me my doctor wont give me the answers

I have had recurring urine infections for 8 years. I spent so much time going from one doc to another trying to find some medicine that I wouldn't become immune to. This medicine "Methenam HIP Tab 1gm @x a day" has totally helped me.