Hello, folks. My friend's kid has been diagnosed with bilateral kidney hypoplasia. I think he is in serious condition since he is administrated to the hospital and he is also diagnosed with renal failure. I would like to know something more about this. I would appreciate all your replies. Thanks, guys.

Hello. Bilateral kidney hypoplasia is a serious disease. It means that both kidneys are smaller than usual. In this case, early symptoms appear in early childhood. First signs are usually: polydipsia, polyuria and electrolyte disbalance. Renal failure usually appears in second decade. This is serious. Perhaps nephrologist would recommend transplantation. You should check about this. Good luck!

Hello there,

First of all I am so sorry that your friend’s kid has been facing such a terrible situation.

As rufus281 has already answered your question almost completely there is no need in repeating his words so I would just like to add how important is for your friend to have support in this moment. Try to be supportive as much as you can and the rest will probably depends on how serious the condition of your friend’s kid is.

Doctors are usually optimistic when person is young so the fact that his son is young could be very good, especially if transplantation was the only option to avoid renal failure.

I hope that some kind of solution is going to be found.