I have problems lately with very short, frequent and painful headache. They don’t last long but the pain is very sharp like someone stubbed me on the right side of my head. It is very short pain but it’s frequent and painful and it really scares me. I’d like to hear what it could be?

I think you suffer from the so called ice pick headaches. I can tell it for I suffer from such headaches. These headaches are usually described as sharp spontaneous head pain that comes from nowhere and it’s not related to some organic disease. I know the pain that ice pick headaches causes is terrifying and may become very frequent meaning that might happen you have them few times a day and usually they are not related to any serious medical condition. Actually the problem is headache itself and I myself very often don’t manage to react on time when it comes to medical therapy for the shortness of a headache. And recently I also started taking indomethacin before sleep for it happens frequently those sharp short headaches attacks while in sleep. But on the other side these drugs might cause some ugly side-effects such as nausea, heartburn, bleeding problems and gastric ulcers. Anyway my advice is that whenever it comes to serious headaches it’s always better to check it with head specialists.

Im only 16 but i am getting these sharp painful headaches which you are talking about, and i am getting them in the same timing as you as well, maybe once a month or once a week, and only for 15 or so seconds. Of course being young no-one believes me when i say im having these headaches because my parents are saying, 'oh everyone has headaches its not just you' but i know there is something wrong when they are this painful and only for a very short time. should i see a doctor or something, is this medicine helpful as well??

ya I'm the same as guest, I'm 17 and my mom just sais the same thing. I'm thinking of asking my doctor about it because I don't want to take medicine for it.

I've been having the same headaches, they usually happen once a day or every other day, they start off very small, so I know it's coming and I know I have to endure the pain, they last about 15 - 45 seconds. I'm only 14 and my mom doesn't understand and says to take some medicine, but I tell her they are to short for it. I'm also thinking about telling my doctor, for the same reason as the guest above me, I don't want to take medicine.

I am 14 and I have Been getting the same thing a like 15-60 second extreme pain headache. I have had one every say for the past week and I had 12 yesterday on it's own I'm a little scared but my mom thinks nothing of it.

I'm only 13 and I just resently been having this headaches. Recently they've been coming at about 3 to 4 times a day.They last for like 10 to 15 second but the pain is so extreme that today during my testing I gave a little scream. They may last for a short amount of time but they are so freaking painful that I wouldn't even wish the lowest person on Earth to have to endure this. I told my mother today and she told me to take a freaking Advil. These headaches scare me and make me hurt so much.

First, I want to say a big Thank You to all of the young women who posted on this thread about their experiences with painful, short-term headaches.  I'm 42 and have been experiencing similar headaches and your stories were the only similiar descriptions I found to what I was experiencing.  My solution came from asking myself, as a peri-menopausal woman, what do I have in common with teenagers?  The answer I came up with was hormonal flexuations, in particular, too much unopposed Estrogen.  And since the solution was inexpensive and available without a prescrption, I thought I'd share so that others may benefit.

Progesterone and Estrogen are the two main female hormones.  Our bodies are generally very good at keeping these two opposing hormones in balance.  But especially during menopause -- and the years leading to menopause, what is called peri-menopause -- are bodies have a harder time keeping them in balance (and maybe in some teenagers as well).

Progesterone cream is available from most larger grocery stores or health food stores (it will be with the health food supplements if its in your grocery store) for around $20 for a months supply. You don't need a prescription or permission from your mother. :-)  To apply, you rub about a teaspoon into your skin twice a day.

The day I bought the cream, I had experienced more than a dozen headaches and they were intensifing in pain.  Really, it had gone from just mildly annoying to intefering with my life.  I didn't wait to get home, but applied some cream to my arm in the car, in the parking lot of the store.  Surprisingly, I didn't have another headache that day!

The headaches continued, but there were fewer and fewer of them and they were less severe.  Now, after about a month on the cream (you stop using it during your period), the headaches are gone.

So, if you are experiencing brief, painful headaches that don't fit the description of ice pick headaches, you might want to try some progestrone cream.  You'll notice an immediate improvement if this is a treatment that will help you.

I'm 26 and have been having the same exact head pain ever since I had my daughter 7 months ago. I was starting to get a little worried, but after reading this, I'm slightly more at ease. I'm thinking it must be hormones also. If mine continue much longer I will be seeing a doctor, though.

I'm 21 and started having these same headaches at 16. I went to the doctor because they were intensifying and she diagnosed me with Trigeminal Neuralgia (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001751/) and prescribed me Tegretol (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000620/). The Tegretol never helped and I eventually stopped taking it. I was told the next step would be an MRI, but it was never done. I have a doctors appointment next week and I'm going to be bringing it up with them to see what they are willing to do for me.

I'm only 14 and the same thing happens to me , It's like a voice speaks to me in my head like 10 seconds before the headache occurs and when the headache takes place it lasts for like .. 20-50 seconds .. It's really painful , I wonder if it's some serious illness or just a little minor effect . It's been happening since I began studying for my exams last week, which I've finished. I really want this to stop |:

I have had these pains for 15 years and parents and teachers brushed it off like a normal headache. I actually had one employer take me seriously but I don't make a fuss of it after so long. It is worse than any other pain I have felt but because the burst are so short, there isn't anything you can do. I saw the doctor twice in my teens. I was told first time round I drank too much coffee. Second time round (after I quit coffee), I was told I didn't drink enough water. All I drank was water. I read a post earlier where a girl described the same pains and was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, which I obviously knew nothing about, but on wikipedia, it is nothing like what I felt, or what the previous posts have described. It seems as though it isn't a life threatening problem, but what is the point if doctors really have no clue and rather than admit they have no clue, they claim it to be the nearest thing they can think of. These people are really an overpaid Triage. 100k salaries should be halved and they money sent to the hospitals to improve their facilities and capacity for proper scans etc. Every time I have been to a doctor all they do is tell me what I already know, and maybe point me to the hospital where I know I am going to go anyway.

Are your headaches 15 sec bursts or so? Do you have them upon standing or exertion?

have you had an MRI of your head? My son had these same headaches since he was about 14. He is now 20 and accidentally found the reason for them. He had Chiari Malformation, he had surgery and no longer has them. Please check this out the symptoms vary from person to person. We saw 3 doctors who all said it was nothing to worry about! He went undiagnosed for 7 years. Symptoms with this do become varied and worse as you get older.

I am a 12 year old girl and have short migraines above and behind my eye and temple. Its NOT just a headache. its a severe pain but not exactly a stabbing, more like a migraines. They are becoming more and more frequent. Is this still an ice pick head ache? 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use