I have a friend who told me she is diagnosed with vulvovaginitis. I am surprised because I know she was careful in her sexual life. We were talking a lot about sexually transmitted diseases, so I was thinking she would prevent something like this. Because of this, I would like to hear more about her problem. In addition, I would like to know what vulvovaginitis is exactly.

Inflammation of the vagina and vulva called vulvovaginitis is most often caused by a bacterial, fungal, or parasitic infection. Vulvovaginitis, vulvitis, and vaginitis are general terms that refer to the inflammation of the vagina and/or vulva. I hope you understand those are external genital organs of a woman. These conditions can be caused by bacterial, fungal, or parasitic infections, as well as it can be caused by low estrogen levels. In this case, it is called atrophic vaginitis. This condition can occur as any type of allergic or irritation response from things such as spermicidal products, condoms, soaps, and bubble bath. In general, vulvovaginitis causes vaginal discharge, irritation, and itching as the main symptoms. One of the most common reasons why women visit their doctor is because of a change in vaginal discharge since this is most noticeable. I have to say it is completely normal for a woman to have a vaginal discharge. The amount and consistency of vaginal discharge varies during the course of the menstrual cycle. Beside this, I want you to know that each of the three most common types of vulvovaginitis are described separately.