After having a lot of problems in the genital tract like severe itching, redness and discharge, my 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with vulvovaginitis. She says she didn’t have sex and refuses to talk to me about it although I wouldn’t judge her and if this happened would only try to help her and explain some things. However, she refuses to talk to me about this topic and gets angry when I mention it. I wanted to know if it were possible to develop this kind of inflammation without having an intercourse. Thank you

Hi! You should understand your daughter as she is a teenager and you don’t that teenagers are embarrassed especially about talking about sexual issues with their parents. If she says she didn’t have an intercourse, you should believe her although that may not be true. You should practice another attitude and bring her different educational material to read on her own but you should say something like; I brought you these, so you could educate, so that you could be prepared when you decide to have an intercourse. That way she may open up or at least understand that she could turn to you in need. Anyway, vulvovaginitis may be caused without having an intercourse, it can be caused by yeast infection or different irritants like bubble baths, soaps, vaginal sprays, and perfumes.

It may be a good idea to take her to a GYN doc fo an exam, and to talk about birth control or any other girly stuff she may not feel comfy telling you. Which does mean you won't be in the room, just her and the doctor.