Few days ago, I have noticed there is something wrong with me. I realized I have redness and swelling of the vulvar skin, as well as burning or itching of the vulvar skin. When I visited doctor, he told me I have vulvitis. I have never heard some woman has it, so I am afraid. Could you tell me is there some treatment for this condition called vulvitis?

Symptoms you reported are typical for vulvitis, as well as thickening of the vulvar skin, and possible small cracks in the vulvar skin. Your condition called vulvitis is inflammation of the external female genitalia, or vulva. Vulvitis can be caused by a number of conditions, such as chronic dermatitis, seborrhea or eczema. Sometimes, cause for vulvitis could be allergies, particularly to soaps, colored toilet paper, vaginal sprays, laundry detergents, bubble bath, or fragrances. Vulvitis can also be caused by infections such as fungal and bacterial infections, pediculosis, or in some cases with scabies. Vulvitis can affect women of all ages, while in young girls and postmenopausal women, the condition may be caused by low estrogen levels. Self-care options may be initiated if no vaginal discharge is present in vulvitis problem. These include discontinuing the use of any potential irritants, and following the recommendations for preventing vulvitis. Cortisone cream may be used two or three times a day on the affected area for up to 1 week if you want to treat your vulvitis with some drug. If these measures do not alleviate symptoms, you should see your doctor again.