I had my gall bladder removed 3 1/2 weeks ago and am now worse than before surgery. I have a hard time holding down food and have pain worse than before. I had a ct scan to rule out obstruction or incisional hernia. would a stone have showed in the ct scan? what could the problem be?

I cannot believe that I found this site. I had surgery in Nov. after having pain that took me to the ER. I had a infected gall bladder! I had the laproscop surgery...was in a total of 5 days due to elevated liver enzymes...ended back in the hospital the next Sat...had tests and checked for ulcers due to pain...had ERCP done to have a stone removed from there...they poked my pancreas so I ended up having a stint put in...had to have it removed a week later...

Here I am Jan 12 and having the pain all over again. I had gotten relaxed with my eating and wonder if that made the difference. I had been eating a very bland diet with low fat...I had also given up coffee...the last week I had more coffee with the flavored creamers...though it wasn't really high in fat I wonder if that made the difference. Does anyone think that may be it...
BTW the Surgeon said not to really worry about what I ate but I had read about some trouble others had so I did watch it.

Anyone else find diet matters...oh and I do get really bloated, have gas pain and sometimes bowel difficulties (of both kinds) isn't it weird??/

>:( Hi i had my gallbladder out 3 yrs ago . still in alot of pain in right upper side way is this ,could there be a stone in my bile duct,my Dr was saying it was my dics in my back. could it be my kidney,as i have to go to the toilot alot .
Are could dibeties causeis pain like this ,the only thing is i always have low Blood sugers.

My husband is sitll in terrible pain after a gall bladder ops. Any suggestions?

I had Gall Bladder Surgery Jan 2, 2007. I am still sufering from lower back pain on right side, tenderness under right rib cage and now it appears that it's affecting the sciatic nerve. I have had all the blood tests, MRCP (diagnosed with (kidney) renal cyst and (Liver) hepatic cyst) - told not to worry about it and the bile ducts are clear. I may do an ERCP and a colonoscopy?

Any suggestions as I have scowered the internet for answers? Doctors seems very unconcerned at times or maybe it's my own over concern.

If I want pain relief -- I drink lots of water, no heavy foods (minimal carbs), no fatty foods, small meals, at least 25-35 grams fiber daily. And believe me, this has been a huge change for me. In essence, I give the entire digestive system a rest.

I suffered with GB pain for 5 years before it was removed -- now I am reconciling the fact that I may be in pain for the rest of my life and I am only a 41 year old male.

I had mine out june of 06 and have been back in twice this year. the doctors keep telling me im fine. around where the surgery was hurts far worse than before surgery. and it has progressed into my back. i can hardly sleep anymore or sit for the extended period of time. im only 27... i have a long time to go yet. but if this is how much pain the rest of my life will be, it would have been nice to know that before surgery.

A lot of people, including myself seem to have pain and problems after surgery. And the doctors have no solution. I keep hearing everyones
complaints, but I am looking for answers to get rid of my abdominal
pain. The doctors are telling me that it is pain from the stitches.
(3) months, I am not so sure. I am looking for an answer and a
solution.

Janet

I HAD MINE OUT 6 WKS AGO AND STILL GET SIMILAR PAIN AFTER GALLBLADDER SURGERY WENT BACK TO MY SPECIALIST HAVING BLOOD TESTS ON MY LIVER FUNCTION THEN A SCAN. TO SEE WHETHER I HAVE SOME STONES TOOK IN MY BILE DUCT OR ELSE WHERE. VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS I THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD LOOK FOR ANY RUNAWAY STONES WHILE I WAS OPERATED ON. SO NOW I MAY HAVE TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE AGAIN.THE PAIN IS STILL IN MY UPPER RIGHT SIDE AND MOVES ACROSS MY BELLY REALLY FED UP. 8-| 8-| 8-|

I seriously cried when I found this website...Everything that I have been going through too. I had my gall bladder removed March 2008. After over three years of pain on my right side and lower right back, I had a HIDA scan in Feb. '08, which I pretty much had to beg for!

They found my gall bladder was functioning at 15%, and it was removed a month later. Well after plenty of healing time, the pain is still there and actually worse then before the surgery. Everything I eat and drink sets it off. My lower right back hurts, from mid spine down, and across to my right hip. I can barely work anymore, without sitting down, and I cannot keep weight on. By the end of the day, I have to lay down, and then there is this pain under my ribs. Kinda unexplainable....Like more of an annoying pressure, like something is enlarged and resting on my right rib cage.
I toss and turn at night....By morning I feel weak, dizzy, and sick to my stomach. I get very crampy with my BM's, which not to be gross, but have been very loose. Lately, I have had no energy, and I am not even hungry because I have been laying in bed all day. I have to force myself to eat. I am 5'8", 28 yrs and normally a healthy active 145 lb female. Well, I am down to 120-125 without even trying. MY BONES STICK OUT!!! :-(

So this last weekend, I had a meltdown. My father-in-law drove me to the doc (for the millionth time) because I could not drive sanely. Well I just cried to this new doc with all these symptoms. I try to see someone new each time, to see what they have to offer. Thank goodness we are insured!!!
A CT scan was ordered for this week. Anyway, this time I was told to cut out dairy completely. Which was easy, because that seemed to set my right side off. I was told to get SUPER ENZYMES, which are taken with every meal - these can be found in a vegetarian formula too. And to get PRO-BIOTICS at the health food store, but they contain dairy. I also picked up LIVER-X, a detox formula, basically to cleanse and destress.

I am a bit lucky, my parents are vegans, and I am not talking about broccoli and noodles every night - this is a well balanced diet, substituting meat and dairy with healthy soy and vegetable choices. So now I eat with them....
I have been faithful with my new program for the past few days, and my energy is starting to come back. It wasnt right away at all, and I figure it will be a month or more to get back to work. I am very hopeful!!!! 8)

I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago, still suffering. I also suffered for 6 years before that. So, I am now 12 years into these attacks. I just spent a morning in the ER and had every test under the sun run. All came out clear except a little elevated liver level. Doctor sent me home with a look on his face of wasteing his time. Well, I have now spent hours trying to figure out what the heck could I be suffering from. I really think that it might be Sphincter Of Oddi. Google it. Research it before the doctors try to give you all kinds of crazy diagnosis. This is a fairly new kind of disorder. There is actually a support group for it.

Hope it helps.

Hi Guest,

There is a group for SOD and Pancreatitis in Yahoo Groups. Very good informations available. This group is actually run by a nurse who herself is suffering from a kind of SOD. Try it.

By the way, I too was operated by Lap for Gall Bladder Removal in 2004. When I eat some spicy or fatty food, I have a slight nagging pain or you may also call sensation at the centre of the back. When I showed it to my GI Doctor and on a UT Scan, he said that my Pancreatic Architecture has changed which is quite common after GB surgery. He has advised my PAncreatin Enzymes - one tablet after lunch and dinner. I find it much better now. These are enzymes which are safe.

Wishing you good health.

Rama

I was so relieved to find that I am not going crazy like the doctors think. I had my gall bladder removed two weeks ago and I can't eat anything. my diet consists of a piece of toast and a lot of water. I am so tired of the pain and the doctors saying that there is nothing wrong. In the past three days I feel constantly nauseated and I have just decided to stop eating and just drink organic protein drinks, it is the only thing that my stomach can handle. I have lost over ten pounds in two weeks and the doctor doesn't seem to be concerned. This is getting very frustrating!

So I too had all the same symptoms as the rest of you.

i'm 19 years old.
had my gallbladder removed on august 15th 2008.

i have been sick since and losing weight also.

last week i had terrible pain in my back and in my stomach.

i couldn't hold any foods down on monday and tuesday so tuesday my doctor rushed me to the ER thinking it was pancreatitis..

i was admitted and had every test under the sun done.

all they found was i was dehydrated..

by the 3rd day they let me leave when i was able to keep foods down.

although the doctor came in and said there was nothing wrong and that he went throgh the usual (your 19 and a young woman and most times woman come in with these problems, we don't find anything and we have to think abuse, drugs, etc.. ) so i left yesterday..

none the less i just got completely sick to the point i was throwing up foamy green bile..

now i noticed today that i have a stitch coming out of my bellybutton.. i was only given dissolvable stitches so i tried to pull it out and it hurt and started bleeding a little. .. does anyone know what this is? is it normal? its not even a quarter of an inch long.. and white and you can tell it is a stitch..

My 17 year old daughter had her gallbladder removed at the end of July. Since then she has been sicker than she was before gallbladder removal. No fever, no yellow jaundice but she often throws up green bile. Not a little, but a lot of green bile. I took my daughter to a digestive specialist yesterday only to be told this is not normal. They are doing an upper GI on her Wednesday. The common problem with gallbladder surgery is the bile duct being clipped. None of this was mentioned to us before the surgery and I had two evaluations done before I let them do the surgery. Now I am finding out that she did not need her gallbladder removed. She did not have stones but had done a hydascan which said her gallbladder was not functioning very well. With younger people those tests are not accurate which again I just found out yesterday. You need to watch for yellowing of your skin, eyes, brown urine, and fever. All of these are signs that the bile has now entered your body and is spreading. It is poision and can cause death. I was told yesterday that throwing up green bile is absolutely not normal and that now we are dealing with yet another problem stemming from the gallbladder surgery. To the 19 year old... please go to another doctor. If you do not you could die. As a mom hearing that my daughter is now at risk due to this I about lost it and I am barely holding on. I can only hope that what they find can be fixed. If they find nothing in the upper GI they will have to take a more evasive approach. In the next test it can cause liver damage and pancreatis leading to death. Do not let them tell you this is in your head. I realize there are many people out there who have had their gallbladder removed without complications and some who have even been sick but again throwing up green bile is a sign of a problem and you have got find to find out what that problem is. It is very possible that your bile duct was cut during the surgery and that bile is now leaking every where inside you. Go to a digestive specialist. Find the best one there is and tell him or her what is going on. I went in yesterday expecting the doctor to give my daughter a pill and to send us on our way. Instead we spent one hour and 45 minutes as he explained what we are now dealing with. None of it was good and now I can do nothing but cry and pray God will make everything alright. The reality is a gallbladder is needed. God put it there and even though the doctors said my daughters needed to be removed I should not have let them remove it because now we are facing serious life and death issues because of this procedure. Anyone else reading this be warned! Listen to me! A gallbladder can be fixed without it being removed. They say it can't but it can with diet. Do NOT let them remove it because the symptoms you are feeling do not go away for everyone and can become worse like in my daughters case. My daughter is only 17! She does not fit the stereo type of someone who typically has a gallbladder problem. She is an athlete, very tall and very skinny. Most people with gallbladder problems are over weight. My daughter was under weight before the surgery but is now down to 112 pounds. She is almost 5 foot 9! Trust me that is very skinny. She can and does eat but she also throws up a lot which is keeping her from gaining any weight. Once again, if you are throwing up green bile... it is NOT normal and you must seek help in order to find out why this is happening. If you do not you can die! I do not mean to scare any of you but it is very important you find a doctor who will listen to you and try to figure out why this is happening. I wish each of you luck and will keep you in my prayers.

I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery 2 years ago.
The pain never went away and only got worse.
Had 2 exploratory surgeries that made things even worse.
Now I have a diagnosis:
It is either Cecal Bascule (cecum flips up on itself) or Cecal Volvulus (cecum and right intestine twised).
It took me 2 long years of pain to finally be directed to a Colo-Rectal Surgeon.
If one is prone to a MOBILE CECUM, abdominal surgeries can cause these nightmarish conditions.

My advice - see a Colo-rectal Surgeon ASAP to rule out these possible problems. They will not go away with time or drugs - only specialized surgery will help.

NO ONE and NO WEBSITE ever mentions this problem - you must know what it is, before you can find out more about it, and it's more common than anyone realizes.

I now have some hope I might get my life back and can stop thinking of suicide.

Good Luck.