I had been sick for 6 months prior to removal of my gall bladder. Every test had been done x-rays,

I had my gall bladder removed 6 wks ago yesterday. All the tests I had done showed my gall bladder was boarder line but I continued to have pain. Before surgery I asked the doctor about pain in my stomach, horrid pain, that would start in the morning waking me up around 4 am and then had nausea and dry heaving and then chills with no temperature. Also, I would have yellow in the toilet when having a bm. Sorry to be gross, it is almost foamy bright yellow and when I whip myself it is yellow on the toilet paper. He said he had no idea. This has been happening for the sporatically for the past 6 months. I truly thought I had a sick gall bladder but it wasn't presenting itself during testing. This morning the pain/diahrea cycle started all over again. I have had so many tests: blood work, CT scan, ultra sound, scope in the stomach, hida scan, x-rays, all came back negative. At this point I don't know what to do. I am ruining my families life. I have seen a regular doctor, gastro doctor, and surgeon. Can anyone tell me where to turn?

I saw the doctor 3 weeks ago for follow up, I had been okay till then. The day after it started up with nausea, diahreah, bloating. dry heaving. Out of the last 3 weeks, 2 I've been ok. Yesterday started stomach pain, this morning diahreah with yellow in the commode to the point I have to flush twice. I am just dog tired of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marianne

There are complications that can come about after gallbladder surgery and removal. Apart from complications of surgery such as damage to the common bile duct with laparoscopic surgery (due to lack of visibility) or infection from an incision, one may develop postcholecystectomy syndrome. Abdominal pain, nausea, gas, bloating, and diarrhea are common following surgery. Postcholecystectomy syndrome (after gallbladder removal syndrome) may include all of the above symptoms plus indigestion, nausea, vomiting and constant pain in the upper right abdomen. See your doctor if the symptoms persist, it is crucial to see what is going on here.

I am guessing that the yellow in the commode was probably bile. This is an indication that food is not being digested properly. I wonder if your gastroenterologist had yet ruled out hepatitis. You do have the classic symptoms of pancreatitis. Gall bladder problems can often damage the pancreatic duct leading to pancreatitis further down the road, even after the gall bladder has been removed. I suggest that you take pancreatic enzyme supplements (amylase, lipase and the protease Trypsin) with your meals. If your symptoms should improve, then you know that your pancreas has a problem.

The odd thing was that I had these symptoms before removal of my gall bladder. Only they were much worse. I should have been more clear in my explaination, it is not constant pain or cronic diahreah. I may have a day to day in a half at present of pain or diahreah or both. Usually I will have one bout of diahreah with the yellow and then no more yellow just diahreah. I had blood work three days after surgery and it showed normal.

I had so many tests run even the CT scan wouldn't have show up something?

Thanks
Marianne

Hi Marianne. Thanks for clearing some things up. How is your diet? I am sure you have made modifications after the surgery right? A low fat diet must be followed after gall bladder removal. Fluids and high fiber diet helps in preventing constipation post gall bladder surgery. The patient may experience burping and feeling of fullness coupled with gas. Ensure that low fat dairy products are used post gall bladder surgery. Avoid convenience foods and fast foods, as they tend to pack in hidden fats. Limit the use of oil to about 2 - 3 tsp. a day. I am curious to know if this plays a role in the symptoms you are experiencing because if there were any major issues it would have been revealed on the tests you had.

Dear Brenda, Thank you for your reply. I believe it may be food and anxiety driven. (I get anxious when this begins again because I had been sick so long) I began the week trying to put more fat into my diet because it had become difficult having a BM. It felt like concrete. I had been taking fiber supplement along with eating high fiber bread.

I added about a half tbs. of olive oil in the morning to my 2 eggs lunch I would have a salad with 1 tbs olive oil and 2 tbs. regular ranch and about 4-6 oz of lean protein. Dinner would be protein, baked potatoe plain, warm veggies prepared via microwave with a little butter. I had some diahreah by Wednesday but felt better Thursday into Friday. Friday evening began stomach pain (better within a couple of hours), Sat morning nausea, some dry heaving, and diahreah with the yellow. After the diahreah I began to feel better just kind of rung out, but within a couple of hours felt better and left to go shopping. I did change my diet back to lower fat Wednesday afternoon. I do also eat a low fat yogurt (activa) twice a day.

Again, thanks for your reply. My doctor told me I could eat normally. My father had his gall bladder removed two years ago and told me to watch fat. He sometimes will have a couple of days with diahreah but he doesn't have the nausea or stomach pain. And he did say occationally he has some yellow in the toilet after a diahreah bout.

Marianne

I am sicker this morning. Woke up at 4:00am with alot of stomach pain. Had a bm at 6:00 which looked extremely funny almost like long deflated ballons. I feel alot of pain and nausea this morning. Trying hard not to throw up. I felt this way back in January.

I have no idea what to do. God help me. I can't go through another 6 months of this.

Marianne

I am sicker this morning. Woke up with alot of stomach pain at 4. At 6 I had the oddest bm. It looked like long deflated balloons. I am so nauseous this morning I feel like I am on the verg of vomiting. I have no idea where to turn. I feel like I felt in January. It hit me fast and hard back then. I thought last night I was feeling better.

I have no idea where to turn. I have had so many tests run. In November I even had an abdominal ultrasound. At this point the doctor will look at me and through up his hands. I went to a gastro specialist in November who after I had my edg told me there was nothing wrong go back to your primary doctor. In January I was sent to a surgeon who had me xrayed, bm tested, ct scan, hida scan. Then removed my gall bladder end of March. I am scared my insurance will drop me. but I can not live like this. Where can I turn? What do I do?

Marianne

Scans and test are not always correct. My gallbladder is coming out on Thursday. I have classic symptoms. It's worth the risk to me! Trying to remain positive, but after reading this blog not sure what to think. I can manage just about anything the physical being can throw at me, but the bathroom cycle and night time direaareah has got to stop. I feel washed completely out. Anyways it's a start. I just hope I am in the 60 percent tile, of improved health.