dear all

I had my gall bladder removed by key hole surgery last monday 4th sept 2006. i was extremely frightened before my surgery and like many people i surfed the web and only seemed to discover horror stories that only made me worse.
I cannot say much about the first 12 hrs post surgery as I was drugged up on morphine but this was the best thing because it meant that by the time I came round in the early hrs of tuesday morning I was only needing a couple of pain killers to control the pain .
Less than 24hrs after the op I was in the shower then I was discharged home where i managed to climb three flights of stairs.
All i can tell people to try and reassure you is that the pain of the surgery is much less severe than that of an attack . I have eaten whatever I wanted this week with no side effects at all which I find amazing , four days after my op I managed to go to the local shops.
I feel like a different person already I'm no longer tired and sluggish in the morning I have so much more energy.
Anyone who is going in for this operation needs to see it as a positive thing , gall stones are painful and they cramp your lifestyle.
I'm not going to lie to you as I said to my Mum when she asked how I was an hour after the operation " it doesn't bloody tickle ! " the worst thing is def the trapped wind but I found that relaxing and trying to move about helped also peppermint tea . just one week after my op I am full of energy , eating normal food and only very slightly un comfortable. For the first time in years I feel like myself.
good luck x x

Yes, that is true. I had my gallbladder removed in June of 2006. Within days, I felt extremely relieved and the bloating began going down right away. No more burning, or swelling. The pain after surgery is not fun, but the reward is free of the misery. If I could advise anyone suffering from this terrible disease, don't hesitate to do surgery!

Had it done by keyhole surgery last Tuesday 6th January 2007. Home from hospital Wednesday 7th, drove & shopped Thurs 8th! Can't recommend it highly enough - discomfort of surgery relatively minor & definitely short-lived, benefits enormous. Looking forward to golf course within the week.

Hi! I just had my gallbladder removed yesterday morning and I gota say,though of course I'm still in recovery,I feel so much better. I'm very sore where my naval incision was but I can walk around, I already showered,and my doc advised against narcotics. I've taken on vicodin,which knocked me out then proceeded to take a few advil which seem to be doin the job. I'm gettin my rest and excited to see how I feel when the end of the new week nears:)

Thanks 2 all who posted their traumatic experiences on here its really help me i was told today that i had 2 have my gall bladder removed and only told there may be a few side effects but not what they were it seemed the doctor i saw was just a get in there and rip an organ or two out doctor without even suggesting other methods but grew concerned thinking well i know this is not a minor thing as i need bile so surfed the net and found all your comments thanks again because u all helped me decide i have surfed and found out there are 2 different procedures i can have  instead of this im really sorry 2 all of you that have had it done and really suffered but so grateful you shared your stories i hope you all find a way 2 cope with these side effects i will be eternally grateful 2 u all good luck for the futere i am due to c my gp monday for med review so will let u all know how i get on when i suggest the other firms of treatment i have found x