My mother's gall bladder was removed several years ago. For some reason a stent was inserted in the bile duct during surgery. This stent has to be replaced from time to time. She has experienced abdominal pain, infections that show in her blood, fever and a feeling of just not feeling good from time to time since surgery. When this happens she is told that the stent has to be replaced. This problem occurs. approx. every 8 mos to 1 year. She had a severe attack last week. Fever 102-103, extreme weakness and abdominal pain. She was hospitalized and was found to have a bacterial infection in the pseudomonas family. I am very confused as to why the stent was inserted and why she continues to have the problems since her gall bladder surgery. Do you have an info?

i'm having a sharp pain on the right side 3 months after i have had gall bladder removed . it seems to be getting worst

I am having exactly the same problems and had my gall bladder removed in 1990!! Extreme upper right abdominal pain thru to my back but I have never ran a fever in my life. I am scared to death since I have no medical insurance. There is also extreme itching on my arms
but the abdominal pain is just like a gall bladder attack all over again.
Weight gain and upper abdominal swelling.

I had the surgery 2 years ago. experienced pain on & off on the upper right side. Mostly have diarreah and LOTS of heartburn. Had tests and MRI's etc. Dr's found nothing but a hiatel hernia which contributed to some of my pain.

I have never been quite clear what kind of diet I should follow for better health moving forward. I'm concerned that not having a gallbladder may increase chances of higher cholesterol and heart attack??? I can seem to find any info on the internet regarding after care. Does anyone know of any good reputable links they could share??? You help is much appreciated.

I had the surgery 2 months ago. Up until 2 weeks ago was feeling great but have developed terrible abdominal pain. Going back to doctor and surgeon tomorrow to try and work it out. Feeling very defeated as I am unwell again after all I have been thru!!!

My 16 year old had to have his gallbladder removed Dec. 2006, we expected some diarrea for a few months after surgery, but 13 months later he still has that plus vomitting nausea, abdominal pain (started in the upper right side, but now its all though his intesines with dizziness he is having to be taught school at home because he vomiiting at school so much that it diruptes the class. He has had sveral blood tests, an upper gi, a colonoscopy, a ct scan and is scheduled to swallow a pill shaped camera. And we still don't know what the problem is. He has gained wieght instead of losing (due to vomitting and diarrea). The only thing his doctor says he can come up with is excess amounts of bile.

What treatment did you seek and have you found relief? I have all of the same things going on and am frustrated because the Dr.s just keep referring me to other Dr.s.

Had gall bladder surgery in 2005. I have found that any high fat food is no longer edible. SInce gall bladder is no longer there to store bile, bile goes directly to stomach. This causes indigetion, bloating and gas.
Also having pain near surgical site. This is probably due to scar tissue around the clips that are left in after the surgery. Apparently, doctors do not care if you have this pain, and will do nothing about it.

I am going to a specialist in st louis mo tommorow for the same kind of probs you all are discussing I had my gallbladder out a year ago and have had probs since it was lap. surgery how about all of you. I have heard there are doctors that say you might have problems with the bile ducts its called SPHINCTER OF ODDI DYSFUNCTION look it up on net and see if it describes your symptoms and get to a doctor experienced in this, I pray the one Im seeing tommorow will help~!!!!!!! 8-|

I have had a lot of problems since having my gall bladder removed in June/2009. I was ok for the first two days after having it removed and then I all of a sudden started throwing up bile, diahrea, nausea, dizziness, weight loss, loss of appetite. I have been put on questran for the diahrea, tried a lot of different acid meds (nexium, prilosec, aciphex, kepidex, protonix, etc.). Also on odansetron for nausea. I was hospitalized on and off from July/August 2009. They still have not found out what is going on with me. I throw up a really thick green-yellow bile every couple days in the morning which makes me feel sick the rest of the day. I have to take pain meds to help with the burning I get all over my stomach due to the bile. I am only 24 years old and should not be having all these problems. It is very frusturating and I don't know what to do. I am seeing a new GI doctor on the 20th. I went over my yearly maximum on my insurance last year because of this, and now owe $35,000 out of pocket and the problem is still not fixed. I don't know what to do. If anyone has had the same problems and found out what's going on and what works please let me know. I just want to get better.

I've had my gallbladder removed and have had alot of problems since i've had it done , upper abdominal pain, lower abdominal pain, nausia, fatigue , red bumps on my back , i hadn't been able to eat and it seemed like when i did i'd get sick , i had some chest pain and chest congestion as well as well as constant pain at the surgical site. What I have found out is that titanium clips are put in during surgery which the doc that did my surgery never said anything about but I have been found to be allergic to these clips that they have put in. when i first went back and seen the surgeon about his she gave me it was impossible speech that the company this and the company that and what proof did i have it was like she was angry that i even brought this up. well i didn't go in there without all my ducks in a row and had proof that i was allergic to the titanium which isn't as uncommon as these docs want you to believe. You can get your blood tested for such allergies on the melisa test web site. what gets me is these docs blindly believe these companies when there is drug and medical recalls all the time but not the patient unless you have 100 percent proof which is crazy you just have to be persistant I was lucky my Regular doctor was open to this and listened to me and had me tested if anyone wants to ask me any questions on any of this you can email me at _[removed]_

My fiance went to the hospital back in March '13 with upper abdominal pain. He was addmitted after spending 12 hrs in the ER. A nurse did an ultrasound and said that there might be "a" stone in his gallbladder. The doc came in and said thag he was romoving his gallbladder bc he "seen" this stone and said that if he saw moone too.while doing the surgery that he would have my fiance come back for an out patient ERCP to remove them. .. What i dont get is y not just remove them while ur in there in the first place?? ... So he had his gallbladder taken out on 3/29/13. He has never had a surgery ever so he didn't know what to expect. He only saw the doc for like a min. When he was still in er before he was admitted and that was it! He never explained that they fill u with gas to operate or a breathing tube or anything. A nurse had told me that he should be back up in an hr. So I went and got some lunch and some cute stuff for him since it was easter. Came back in an hr and nothing. 3 1/2 hrs later they finally bring him up with NO explanation as to y he was downstairs so long. He came back in insane pain and the nurses told him that he need to go pee and start to pass gas for him to feel better. Well its a little hard to push when an organ was just removed. Also the doctor never came back in to his room to talk to him aboit the surgery or anything that he did. 4 days later we couldn't understand y he was still in hospital... Come to find out that someone had told someone and blah blah blah that my fiance was already discharged 2 days back but yet he was still getting meals and pain meds and everything. After I made a huge stink out of the whole ordeal they finally called in a doc (not his surgeon) to read his report so he could tech be discharged. She had told us that the doc made several attempts to get the stone by cutting at his bioduct several times but couldn't get it. Long store kinda shortened. His pain never went away.. He became very sick throwing up, sweating perfusly, bad bad constipation. So we went to the surgeon for a follow up and my fiance had told him all his still simptums and the doc was extremely rude and said well w/e is wrong with u now has nothing to do with me. But it did BC he didn't have any of these other problems but pain before he had his gallbladder out. He have us a copy of the sergical report that stated that there were no stones but if pain and if u get juandic please see DR. So were very confused BC we got 2 different stories for 2 different docs as to what went on. It's not been 4 months and after at least 20 more trips to ER for upper abdominal pain and being constipated (he doesnt go #2 for weeks on end) no one can still tell us what's wrong. But what we do know now after a couple MRIs and CAT scans is that there were no stones there ever!!!.. And he would have known if he passed one too. At this point were getting a lawyer BC we have lost so much from him being so sick constantly BC the hospital and doctor never really figured out what was wrong in first place. He lost his job.. Our RTO home and our truck. Its so frusterating when drs have no clue or just don't care. Please help me if anyone has any in-site to this. There is a lot more to this is just can't type it all right now. Oh and his white blood cell count is up to 18,000 when normal is around 10,000. The thought that he could have cancer instead scares me!... Please help anyone ..

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Medical advice or lawyer advice!!

i am sorry to hear about ur mothers case. But i feel there must be biliary leak at the time of surgery ,and thatis why stents r put, also must check liver function test and if normal then repeat ultrasound to c all is well then the surgeon can advise to remove the stent.

Did you ever try a gluten and dairy free diet and the best is the Paleo diet. I have had GERD for 4 months after a mistaken wheat bread was put in my plate at a restaurant that I asked for gluten free bread and now my gallbladder has a low ejection fraction and slug and small stones and I'm having it removed in 4 weeks. The gallbldder pain in my back and stomach for 3 months straight is sever and dayly for 4-5 hours after eating a very low fat no grains no meat ,or poultry, only egg whites,I have been gluten zero free for 6 years - before that I had gas daly ,constipation , chronic joint and back pain , low energy, 40 lbs over weight, headaches, brain fog, occasional heartburn, and low blood sugar. I'm also hypothyroid and take Nature Throid for 10 years .I was 50 when I started my gluten free diet and 55 when I went dairy free which I should have done years ago. My 2 siblings had gallbladder surgery and I guess the wheat exposure put me over the edge and caused sever bowel gallbladder and GERD . It's been 6 months since my exposure 9/1/13) and I have lost 29 lbs and am not happy to need my gallbladder out but I cannt live like this . I go to a Naturpath and functional medicine doctor and they aren't saying i deffinetly need my gallbladder out but I have a PCP and GI doctor that recommends it . I'm scared but I hope my Paleo gluten grain and dairy free diet keeps me from digestive issues and pain after my surgery . Good luck and please read up on how dangerous wheat -gluten is for your health . Some good books are Wheat Belly - Dangerous Grains and Grain Brain . I wish you well.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Prevacid. It's all that has worked for me. A pharmacy technician told me to try that when I was about to just give up.. because I'd been so sick for so long with all the American symptoms. I too just learned I have clips inside my stomach. Please try the Prevacid.. all of you.. actually I take the generic brand. Lansoprazole. It helps greatly. I take two every day. And it helps.
I hope this advice helps a little bit. For anyone.
I too was ready to accept id never feel better.
Prevacid helped me and has for Almost 15 years now. They try to take me off of it and switch my medicine alot.. only to make me so sick.. so I stick by prevacid.