Hi, my baby was diagnosed with a branchial cleft cyst. A doctor told me that most branchial cleft remnants require no treatment, but my wife and I are not sure about that. Any suggestions?

A branchial cleft cyst is a birth defect in the neck or just below the collarbone. It appears early during development of the embryo, when the tissue doesn’t develop mormaly. This condition can be diagnosed without testing. It just takes a physical examination by your baby’s health provider. It is true that most branchial cleft remnants require no treatment. However, if it is infected, a doctor prescribes antibiotics. When it comes to a surgery, the results are usually good. The symptoms are usually lumps, small pits, or skin tags on the neck or just below the collarbone. Sometimes, a fluid comes out from a pit on the neck.

Hello everyone!
I am wondering if anyone has ever expericenced anything like I am going through. I am now 7 months pregnant and have a Large Bracial Cleft cyst. I got the cyst as sson as I got pregnat. I have had the cyst drained 3 times now for pain and they have removed 33 cc's of fluid each time. I am wondering what is the recovery time for the surgery? I will have a newborn to care for, and a 3 year old! Is there a long hospitial stay envolded? Or will it just be a couple of days. I can tell you that this is misreable having a cyst the size of a small tennis ball on the side of my neck. It goes from my ear all the way down my neck.

Thanks.

In 1998 my son was born at 24 weeks gestation. I had a growing brachial cleft cyst that was the size of a cantaloupe by the time it was removed three weeks after his birth. Thankfully my doc knew his surgical limitations and brought in a colleague with more surgical experience operating on large cysts. That decision was one well worth the money (two surgeons were not covered, Dr. N was not in my plan).

After a lengthy surgery, my husband and mother heard about the size of the cyst and how serious it was. I spent one week down the hall from my son (in the NICU) on serious pain medication. I won't lie the pain was awful. I had to lift my head with my hands for several days. After the first week, the pain was manageable, and I had my son's life that I was more concerned about anyway.

You will need help for about three weeks after surgery because you will not be very excited about turning your head in a car to check for traffic. Just find some help and you'll be fine. Do your research about your surgeon and his or her surgical history before letting them operate on such a vital area of your body.

I have a three month old who was diagnost with Branchial cleft cyst today. He has to have surgery with in his first year. my questin is what do they do to take it out and is it painful? How long is the recovery time?do they put the baby's to sleep?

I can't believe I have found this web site. To any one with a brachial cleft cyst. Here is my story. Hopefully, I will be able to give a short version.
I am a 44 yr old female. I just endured a neck disection to remove a 7 and 1/2 inch Brachial cleft cyst that basically went undiagnosed while under the care of an Ear ,Nose and throat doctor for the last four years after he removed two pollups on my vocal chords. While under his care about a year and half ago. I began severe symptoms , sick all the time sinus infection soar thraot strepp throat ear infections double ear infections constantly on an antibiotic ETC I was at the doctors every other week. All the while I ahd aPin hole at the base of my collar bone that weeped puss. he said it was a sebatious cyst a surface skin cyst But then I beagan to have ringing in my ear pain ion the right side of my neck, swelling and i could push on my neck and taste puss in the back of my throat. He told me taht I had a stressful life{ single mom two kids two jobs and a smoker going thr bad divorce} He said loose weight stop smoking and work less basically ignored my concerns . I said taht i was convinced that the thing weeping on my neck was some how connectedto my illness he said no way even though my primary wrote him a note saying that she thought it was a bracial cleft cyst. he sent me to a dermatoligist who proceeded to cut what he thought was a surface cyst until he got past deep tissues and could not find the end of the cyst{Iwas wide awke with only a topical numbing agent. He left me wide open on the table wide awake to call the ENT DR. came back said he had to so me up and that I needed to have this thing removed by surgery and that i should see the ENT right away
I did the next day that DR told me I dont know what this is What you want me to do
I went to my prmary who could not believe this happened to me she sent me to another Dr who found the cyst in 15 minutes the next thing I know I am at the Head and Neck Clinic at Mass Eye an Ear having surgery
Where that DR said It was the largest Brachial clefy cyst he had ever removed

I just had a baby 4 weeks ago, during my pregnancy my cyst kept growing, now it it very large and painful-- the whole right side of my face hurts-- my eye, my right tonsil, my right side of my neck--- headaches ect. I will be having surgery soon and Im a little scared about the facial nerve ect, and how painful it will be. Its good to know Im not the only one, if u have one or have had it removed please email me and let me know.

_[removed]_m
Trina

I am having pressure in the ear, and sometimes feel fullness under
my tongue. I have this chonic problem since early October.
My ENT doctor did a CT scan and found I have a second branchial
cleft cyst. He mentioned this is from birth, and hoping I will get
relief from this discomfort.
I am worried about the surgery, and hoping I will have a good
recovery from the surgery.
I am 59 years old, and have had some sore throats and problems
with my gland swelling on the right side.
My surgery is Friday Dec. 7th, and really worried about the outcome
of this surgery.
Waiting to hear from you.

To those with questions I had a brachial cleft cyst for 14 yrs. I had surgery 3 days ago to remove it and I wish I would've found this site sooner. I didn't realize there were so many others like me out there. I'll be happy to talk to or answer questions you may have. After my MRI the doctor said it was about the size of a tennis ball, the largest he had saw.After the surgery he said it was more like a grapefruit. Feel free to contact me .Good luck.

My son is a strong healthly young man who has just been diag. He is in the middle of being pulled between staying on antibiotics or draining it. I looking for a MRI test to see where we stand. But foremost through it all I find my answer in my Father who hears and answers all prayers. Gods speed to all how have to endure this.

Hi. I am a 29 year old woman who just went through a brachial cleft cyst removal surgery. I was diagnosed with this when I was an infant. The option given to my mom was to remove it or leave it. The doctor suggested leaving it which she did. The cyst did not cause any problems until last year. To the individual worried about her surgery, it's not as terrible as I thought it would be. The cyst was very large, the size of a baseball, so my incision was around 5 inches. The surgeon insists that the scar will be hardly noticeable in a year. So good luck to all of you with a brachial cleft cyst and the parents of children with them. Take care.

I'm 40yr woman and have surgery scheduled to remove a branchial cyst. The cyst was 20cm, but has reduced in size after the fine needle aspiration. Can anyone who has had this surgery please let me know how much recovery time is required? The consultant was not clear... a couple of days off work, a week, more?

Many thanks.

So glad I found this site. I just left the hospital today from having surgery to remove a branchial cleft cyst. I discovered last Saturday, but it has probably been there awhile. You see, I have been on a diet and when I lose weight, I first notice in my face. As of last Sat, I had lost 16 lbs and I noticed that one side of my face was getting thinner, but I couldn't even see my jawbone on the other side. When I felt under my jaw and on my neck I realized I had a large smooth lump. There was no reddness or pain...just this huge lump. It was also very noticeable when I looked in the mirror. I actually thought I was having some kind of allergic reaction and so I went to the E.R. where I saw a Physician's Assistant. He was stumped when I told him I had no pain. He asked if I has been vaccinated for the mumps, then he thought maybe I had cat scratch fever. Finally after a cat scan and three hours, he told me that I might have this Branchial cleft cyst and he made me an appt with and Ear Nose and Throat specialist. I had surgery yesterday morning, (4 days after my visit to the ER.) The cyst was as big as a softball and the ENT still has it at the lab getting it checked thoroughly, he said. he said it was full of pus. I was in the hospital for a little over 24 hours. Now that I am home, I have a drain installed in my neck and there is a little fluid draining from the surgical cut in my neck in to a bag. The surgery wasn't that bad, but the whole experience has made me decide to quit smoking. I was actually afraid this was a neck cancer tumour. I am currently on antibiotics and oxycodone. I feel pretty good without that huge lump. Surgery was definitely worth it! Good luck to anyone going through this.

Hello- all of you who have had large branchial cleft cyst removed by surgery...my husband who had surgery on 10/21/08 is still in a lot of pain and thought he would be feeling better by now. He had a drain tube for 24 hours after surgery. Since then though, it seems as if his under chin /throat area is filled with fluid. It does not appear swollen as much as jiggly-like heavy with fluid. We are a little concerned that something is wrong and have called the doctor daily explaining our concerns. Anyway- I guess we would feel better knowing other are also having a lot of pain and discomfort 4-5 days post surgery, and that to expect a slow recovery time. Also, that the fluid will disssapate within time-and that this is just normal. Any feedback with post surgery will be appreciated!!

Thanks!

I got in touch a while ago to ask about recovery time. Just wanted to share my experience in case others are looking for information.

I was in hospital for 24hrs. Surgery was fine, although I was quite nervous. When I woked up there was a drain in my neck (a thin tube that collects liquid in a ball at the end). I wasn't expecting this so I was a bit frightened. The surgeon did a great job in closing the incision with stitching on the inside and used steri-strips on the outside. I was in a lot of pain from the intubation... not sure what happened, but I had the worse sore throat ever. The surgeon explained that this may have happened due to the manipulation during the surgery to remove the branchial cyst. The first 24hrs were not a lot of fun! I had morphine and other drugs to help. I did manage to eat some mash potato and peas, but toast for breakfast was too much of a challenge. The drain was removed the next morning (painless) and additional steri-strips added.

My husband took me home from hospital the next day. I found that I just wanted to rest, but it was difficult to get comfortable on a pillow... and it's amazing just how you don't realise normally how much your neck muscles get used! I needed a lot of medication for the first few days, but gradually started being more mobile. As I needed to keep the steri-strips on for a minimum of 5 days, and these needed to be kept dry, my husband had to help me wash my hair... a true test of love!

My local doctor removed the steri-strips. I'm not going to lie - it hurt. And, it was a surprise to see the scar (c. 5 inches). There's still quite a bit of nerve damage, extending from mid-check down around the wound. This feels a bit like after going to the dentist when the numbing wears off.

I went back to work 10 days after the operation, and took it easy the first few days as I still needed medication to manage pain. Night time was the most difficult as I usually sleep on my side, so getting comfortable in a different position was a challenge. I have been putting Bio Oil on the scar to help it heal. It took a couple of weeks to get full mobility in my neck as it did feel tender.

My surgical consultant did a post-op review two weeks afterwards and said that it will take 6-12 months for the inflamation around the scar to reduce, and for the nerve damage to repair. Also, he confirmed that the cyst was benign... hurrah!

It's now been a month since my surgery and I'm feeling pretty good. Most people don't even notice the scar as it's in a natural fold on the neck. I still have a lot of tingling in my face and neck, but I'm confident this will reduce with time.

Best wishes to everyone.3