Over the last 2 weeks I have awakened with a pulsating and burning pain on the top of my left foot. It's located above my toes, on the top, it feels like, and not the bottom of my foot. It has been severe enough to wake me up at times. It occurs every once in a while during the day as well. I do have a heel spur on that foot and have started wearing some special orthotics to help with that during the last month or so. I am also a diabetic and have always maintained good control of my blood sugars and HA1c's are also good. Could you give me an ideas of what might be causing this and what it could be? Thank you

I happen to be feeling a very similar pain... I twisted my ankle something awful a few months ago and since then my root foot has been feeling quite fragile at times.

However in the last few days I started having a pulsating sharp pain near my big toe on the top of my foot. It comes and goes at random intervals and at random times during the day. It hurts pretty bad when it pulses but only lasts for half a second thank god.

Im gonna try putting it in cold water and pray it heals. If you come to figure out what's wrong with your foot.. please reply.. I'd be interested in knowing.

I might go and try to have an x-ray done if this keeps up but knowing how difficult it'll be for a doctor to agree to it.. I'm just gonna hope the ice does its trick.

About two three times a year my feet have this sharp, stabbing pain on the tops of my toes. It occurs mostly at night but also during the day too.
There is no sign of redness, does not itch, just a constant, tingling, sharp painful annoyance. I have tried all kinds of salve, dsmo, massage and nothing works! What is wrong? Anybody know? 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It sounds similar to my foot pain. Had it a few months ago and went away, but now it's back. Sharp, burning foot pain like stabbing or stepping on glass. Keeps me up at night with random attacks and goes on in daytime too. Just in one foot. Have appt. with doctor on Thursday to find out what it is. I have hard stone tile in my home and standing a lot all day so not sure if that's a factor. Anyone know what this is? Relief? Thanks.

Did anyone get an answer to this? It just started to happen to me, about amonth ago, lasted most of a day, then gone. Now, back today with a vengence! Any ideas?? What to try?? Thanks!

What is a Ganglion Cyst?
A ganglion cyst is a mass of tissue that is filled with a jelly-like fluid. The word “ganglion” means “knot” and is used to describe the knot-like mass or lump of cells that forms below the surface of the skin.

ganglion cystGanglion cysts are among the most common benign soft-tissue masses. Although they most often occur on the wrist, they also frequently develop on the foot—usually on the top, but elsewhere as well. Ganglion cysts vary in size, may get smaller and larger over time and may even disappear, only to possibly return later.

Signs and Symptoms
A ganglion cyst is associated with one or more
of the following signs and symptoms:

* A noticeable lump—often this is the only
symptom experienced.
* Tingling or burning, if the cyst is touching a nerve.
* Dull pain or ache, which may indicate the cyst is pressing against a tendon or joint.
* Difficulty wearing shoes due to irritation between the lump and the shoe.

What Causes a Ganglion Cyst?
Ganglion cysts are usually caused by some type of injury. For example, a ganglion cyst might develop after something drops on the foot, if the foot was twisted while walking, or after too much stress was placed on a joint or tendon. For some patients, the trauma that triggers this condition is something they do not recall. Usually the cyst appears soon after the trauma occurs.

Diagnosis
To diagnose a ganglion cyst, the foot and ankle surgeon will perform a thorough examination of the foot. The lump will be visually apparent and, when pressed in a certain way, it should move freely underneath the skin. Sometimes the surgeon will shine a light through the cyst or remove a small amount of fluid from the cyst for evaluation. Occasionally other imaging studies may be used.

Treatment
There are various options for treating a ganglion cyst on the foot:

* Monitoring, but no treatment. If the cyst causes no pain and does not interfere with walking, the surgeon may decide it is best to carefully watch the cyst over a period of time.
* Shoe modifications. Wearing shoes that do not rub the cyst or cause irritation may be advised. In addition, placing a pad inside the shoe may help reduce pressure against the cyst.
* Aspiration and injection. This technique involves draining the fluid and then injecting a steroid medication into the mass. More than one session may be needed. Although this approach is successful in some cases, in many others the cyst returns.
* Surgery. When other treatment options fail or are not appropriate, the cyst may need to be surgically removed. While the recurrence rate associated with surgery is much lower than that experienced with aspiration and injection therapy, there are nevertheless cases in which the ganglion cyst returns.

My foot pain is very similar, but it is right where the arch of the foot starts, near the big toe. Not quite the top of the foot. It is a flashing pulse of pain then nothing. It started just as I went to bed. Same pain in the morning when I got up. It's lasted all day. It comes and goes every few minutes. I will try to ice it. If that doesn't work I will try heat. Next stop, the podiatrist. I'll report back.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton%27s_neuroma

It sounds like intermetatarsal Neuroma which is a Benign neuroma of the interdigital nerve. Go to your doctor and get them to refer you to someone who specialises as the longer you leave it the worse it can get.

I have the same thing. I now think I strain that muscle at night keeping in touch with my wife. Serious. I rub bottom of her foot with it.

I have noticed there are no replies with answers to some of your questions.....I am not a doctor of any kind. However, I have been living with Type II Diabetes for quite some time...I have had multiple surgeries due to Diabetic Neuropathy.....I experience a severe burning, in very specific spots on my feet. It keeps me awake, or wakens me nightly!....I also have the worse case of calluses one could have. They have such deep cracks they sometimes bleed.....My feet swell and burn so bad I am sometimes unable to walk......The reason I am mentioning all this is simply because the diagnosis for these symptoms has been Diabetic Neuropathy.....I have had Ulnar Neuropathy (in both arms), Carpal Tunnel, as well as nerve damage to my knees, (1 successful surgery), as well as the severe pains in my feet.....My doctor has me on many different medications, although none relieve the feet pains.....I am on Lantus & Novolog insulins. Although, my diabetes is not under control. (My own fault!)......So if you experience any of this, it could be Diabetic Neuropathy......However, you should ALWAYS get a doctor's opinion!.....If you are able to control your diet, (If you can afford healthy foods), then I highly suggest you do so!....If you are able to excercise, you need to NOW!!!.....I also suggest you take a multi-vitamin, as well as Vitamin E!....Again: Ask your doctor before taking any supplements..... Some may be effected, or effect one or more medications you may be taking......I beg and plead with you all: Please take care of yourself before any damage is permanent!.....I am only 48, and my body is always in pain!.....If you are younger, or have younger family members; PLEASE eat healthy and exercise!....Get them to do the same......Don't let your body fail you!.....I hope this has helped someone.

I have similar pain in my left foot. I had an accident about 4 years ago and since then once and a while it has been sore. When I had this mishap they ran x-rays and sent me for a mri and found nothing. Just recently it has been excruciating. to the point of I had to go to the emergency room to try to get an answer on what it could be. Needless to say they ran x-rays which I told them it wasnt broke but they did it anyway. This pain is on the top left side of my left foot and hurts unbelievably when i try to walk. The hospital gave me some pain meds that dont even take the edge off but I cant keep going back since i cant afford it. I just want to be able to walk normally again so I can make a living. I dont have diabetes that i know of but it is in the family. if anyone can point me in hopefully the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

I have the same burning and think you are on target with your answer.Diabetes runs in my family and I notice the severe burning when I eat sweets. Not all diabetics have neuropathy, but the ones who do live a tortured existance. Please all of you, try to control your diet.

hi i have had severe burning in my right foot for approx 3 months now, also pulsating, pain in my toes which feel like they are going to snap when i walk on them, i have slight swelling on the same foot, i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia approx 2 years ago, do you think it is part of it, considering going back to the doctors for an opinion, thanx

IT sounds alot like my pain I am border line diebetic but this morning my foot felt frozen then it started to tigal then burn

Hi i am currently lying in bed at 2 in the morning at my wits emd with excrutiating pain in left arch area of left foot. It usually lasts a few mins then goes, but its keeping me awake now for an hour with its jabbing pain like someone is shoving a knife in there every few mins! What is causing it? I thought to myself that rubbing ice cube on it might help?
A.hopper