Recently I was diagnosed with ganglion cyst. Even though my doctor has told me some basic information about it, I would like to know more. What are these cysts and on what parts of the body they can develop?

A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon. Tendon is tissue that connects muscle to bone. The cyst looks like a sac of liquid and inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless material. Depending on the size, cysts may feel firm or spongy. Ganglion cysts are also known as Bible cysts. They are more common in women, and majority of them occur in people between the ages of 20-40. Ganglion cysts mostly occur on the back of the hand, at the wrist joint etc. They can also develop on the palm side of the wrist and when they are found on the back of the wrist, they become more prominent when the wrist is flexed forward. Other sites where they can develop are the base of the fingers on the palm, where they appear as pea-sized bumps, the fingertip, just below the cuticle, the outside of the knee and ankle and on the top of the foot. I hope that this information was helpful.