Hi. I think my sister has some sort of a speech problem. She has problems with understanding language utterances spoken by others. This includes her own garbled speech, but she can`t understand that her speech is disturbed. Her writing is also confused. What is going on?

Hi. A friend of mine has the same problem. He suffers from Wernicke`s aphasia. Aphasia is an impairment of language comprehension. Wernicke`s aphasia is characterized with severely disorganized language output. Sometimes it sounds like incomprehensible babble. Wernick`s aphasia is also characterized with severe disturbance of comprehension. Also, persons with Wernick`s aphasia have difficulties with naming object presented to them. Writing is also a problem. It includes nonsense word and semantic substitution.

Hello there,

Since rohn has explained everything you need to know about this I believe that it would be best to consult your doctor about this matter as well. Although there is no treatment which has been proven to be efficient but treatment in general can give some positive outcome.

There should be a team of doctors who will work together in treating aphasia. The most of the time this treatment should be repetition and it has aim to improve language performance. And this can help you to understand your sister a little bit better and to try to find a way to communicate with each other and with others that surrounds her.  I hope this was helpful and good luck.