I am hoping that there are some wonderful people here who are willing to talk me through the process of diagnosis of Landau-Kleffner syndrome in small children. My son is three and mostly still pre verbal, and he has been suffering from seizures. Several doctors have brought up the possibility of Landau-Kleffner syndrome. When can this be diagnosed?

There is an alternative name for Landau-Kleffner syndrome - infantile aphasia or something like that, but with one added word I can't think of right now. It normally happens to kids between five and seven years of age, and one of the key conditions to diagnose Landau-Kleffner syndrome is prior normal development, including in speech, and then subsequently losing this ability again. I am not sure whether Landau-Kleffner syndrome can also apply to smaller kids, who never gained the ability to speak.

Hallo,
Landau Kleffner Syndrome is very rare. The fact is that LK syndrome can be caused by neurological disorder where your child will develop aphasia and he will have abnormal electro encephalogram (EEG). So if you notice any abnormal behavior in his speech you should take him to see a doctor so you can run some tests like EEG. One other thing that is important to mention is that this usually occurs in children between 5 to 7 years of age. Your son is little young to be having this syndrome but don’t age stop you to take your son to the hospital. The sooner he gets diagnosed the sooner the treatment can start. I hope this helped in any way.