Hello, folks. My kid is older than two, but I am afraid he hasn't spoken much yet. I am afraid he has a disorder. I would like to know what can be the cause of delayed speech and language. I would really appreciate if anyone could answer me this question. Thank you in advance.

Hi. There are many possible causes of delayed speech and language. In normal kids it is rarely caused by impairment in vocal producing organs such as tongue or palate. Some kids have oral motor problems. It means that their motor areas in cerebral cortex are not functioning well. In this case, feeding difficulties can accompany this disorder, but not necessary. Ear infections can also have some influence. I am not familiar with more details. You should take your kid to the doctor. Then, he will point you out to a specialist.