Hi, I live in a small town. Here almost everybody knows everybody. There is a bit older man that has built himself a certain reputation. Wherever he goes, he stops to talk to anybody explaining things that people, he talks to, are, or are not, interested in. I found out that this is called pressured speech. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, I suspect that you have had couple of encounters with this man, since you are interested in his condition. My father had the same problem and because of that I am somewhat familiar with it. Pressured speech is a symptom of one of the conditions called mania and manic depression. You can say that pressured speech is "trademark" for these conditions. It is characterized by loudness, continuity and impossibility to interrupt the person that is "performing" pressured speech. Since I had no idea what can cause it, I took my father to a professional therapist. It is he who made the diagnosis. You should advise that man's family to do the same. They should not think that pressured speech can be taken lightly.