Hello!
I would like to know what is coposcopy procedure and if there are some side effects to coposcopy procedure?
Thanks in advance!

Coposcopy procedure seems very similar to Pap smear. A coposcopy procedure allows doctor to look very closely at your cervix using a colposcope. Colposcope is an instrument with a series of lenses that magnify the tissues in the cervix. During the procedure doctor places the colposcope at the vaginal opening. If your cervical tissue appears abnormal, doctor might use an instrument to cut off a small tissue sample, which is called a biopsy. During biopsy you might feel a slight pinch or cramp. After, the tissue will be sent to a lab for analysis.
Mostly there are no side effects, at least not with most of the women. Some feel lightheaded. If biopsy is done (it is not necessary that biopsy is done!!!) might be some minor bleeding from the biopsy site. In this case infection is possible, but this is very rare. Also, if biopsy is performed there is also possibility of heavy bleeding, a fever, or pelvic pain. Those are more severe side effects, but also very uncommon. If this happens to you, you should immediately call doctor!

I had a coposcopy procedure a week ago. It is nothing more than the doctor looking very closely at your cervix using a colposcope. Colposcope is an instrument that magnify the tissues in the cervix. This procedure didn't hurt me at all. However, I did have to have a biopsy taken the same day. Not to alarm anyone but I wish I had been more prepared for just how badly it hurts to have that done. I was actually concerned during the procedure because it hurt to the point I was in tears. My doc. and her nurse had both assured me before hand that it was nothing more than a slight pinch. And everything I read on line said the same thing. It wasn't until after by talking to other women who had this done that I found out I was not the ONLY person to think the procedure hurt quite a bit. Two people that I spoke with actually passed out because of the pain. I can say my pain wasn't anywhere near that bad but know what you are going into and be prepared that it's very likely that you WILL feel pain. Also be prepared for the possibility of heavy cramping for up to 27 hours later.

While my copo didn't really hurt during the procedure it did feel like when I was going home I had a tampon made of burs or something scratchy (tree branch) ouch. It wasn't terrible but was bearable. I had this done last tuesday - 9 days ago and still have bleeding though - at times it is brownish and most it is just like your last days of your period. I am wondering if this seems excessive - I do not have any other pain.

I have had several coposcopys done with biopsys. The procedure was uncomfortable...but not unbearable. I did have severe cramping afterwards for about 24 hours.

I just wanted to add to this subject after having a coposcopy earlier this morning. I read the leaflet explaining the procedure before I went for my appointment, and it all seemed pretty straight forward, therefore I didnt feel the need for anyone to accompany me. The procedure itself is just like having a smear, in respect stirrups, spectrum.The doctor also had 2 nurses present, one a student nurse, who I didnt object to staying. The Doctor explained what she was doing as she went along, and said that everything looked normal, but that she was going to take a biopsy anyway, just to double check... at which point the nurse presented her with a sinister looking contraption, which immediately made me tense, the Doctor told me to cough as she took the biopsy, and I cant describe the pain, it was excruciating, and after managing to get myself off the table, I stood bent over, and proceeded to go into shock, light headed, heavy sweating all over my body, my heart was beating like the clappers, and then if that wasnt bad enough, I threw up, :$ I felt totally out of control and vulnerable, still only half dressed. :'( The nurse told me to take deep breaths through my nose and out through my mouth, whilst she took my pulse, put the fan on to cool 8) me down, and after 10 mins I managed to get dressed and cleaned up, but the cramp was very unpleasant!! %-)

Im so glad I found this site, as I thought maybe there was something wrong with me. It seems the procedure has been equally unpleasant for others, so perhaps they could use some pain control for this? I would HATE to ever have to go back, which in itself is quite worrying as I feel this has put me off, and pray I dont have to go back... :-(

Going for a second copo tomorrow.. i really dont remember much about the last one. just the cramps. Ive been having pap smears every 4-6 months for years.. just want to not have to worry so much. Im sure im headed for a hysterectiomy soon!! Thanks to all for being so helpful.. wish me luck :-D

well,
i'm 28 and i just had a copo done tuesday. first time i ever had to get any type of invasive procedure done. i must say i was calm, there was a nurse, resident and physician in the room. he spoke explained what was being seen in the monitor as he was performing my procedure. he explained everything that he was going to do, what he was inserting etc.
then when he took my biopsy i did feel a little snip..thank god it was not painful..but i felt it as he snipped a piece. im glad to say the only thing that i am still experiencing is bleeding..

Based on your experiences do you think taking pain killers before you go in would help. I am going in for a colposcopy next week.

Im now on my sixth coposcopy and have them done very six months. Being honest I dont find it hurts untill afterwards so I take pain killers before I go to get it done and once ive left the hospital to get on top of the pain.
Each time ive had it done I will bleed for almost four weeks after it and I was told by my doctor never to use tampons as they can cause infections which ive had and oh my god thats horrible 4am needing to call emergency doctor to my home.
Also you must refrain from sex till you are completely heeled but this does vary in what they do when you are there if your one of the lucky one's you will only get a small biopsy done in my case they remove all the lining from my cervix but please dont be scared if I can handle it im sure you will be alright!!!!

I had a coposcopy w. biopsy done yesterday... it is nothing NEAR as painful as anyone on here discribes it as. It was nothing more than a pap smear with a little added cramping. You may have slight cramping for a few hours afterwards but nothing advil wont take care of. Make sure you take 600-800 mg of advil before you go. I walked into the dr office terrified, and left wondering why i let myself get so worked up over that. It all depends on who you are, and your pain tolerance. Dont get freaked out over other peoples horror stroies and get yourself worked up over something that isnt that bad...

i am going for my first coposcopy on Thursday, as i had an irregular pap smear, i am only 16, and i am terrified, there is a lot of family history, regarding my mum and i have been having a few problems, although i am taking somebody along with me, i am honestly terrified, can anybody tell me what it feels like, just to have a coposcopy, after reading so many stories i am worried about having a biopsy, can they not offer you any pain relief? and which pain relief should i take?

Dear readers, I wanted to share my story with you. I am turning nineteen this month, and yesterday I had a coposcopy and a biopsy. Before my procedure, I was given a pamphlet to read. It seemed that it would be okay. I have many medical conditions for my age, such as endometriosis, fibromyalsia, jr. rheumatiod arthritis, anemia, among other things. When the nurse came in, I asked her if it would hurt. I was nervous, scared, and alone. She said that many women tell her that it feels like a cramp, and I thought to myself, "Do you have any earthly idea what I go through with cramps each month?!" During the procedure, I tried to remain calm. I was in so much pain, and I tried to hold myself together. Though I did not shed a tear, I screamed with agony. I felt like someone was pulling my insides out! I was not prepared for this experience, and I will probably not be ready for the laparoscopy on Dec. 16, 2008. I hope to have kids one day, so I feel this next surgery is the next step, seeing as I am in stage II of my endo... I am really scared that I will not be able to provide a family for the man I love the most. I just wanted to share my experience with every one of you ladies because it is nice to know that I am not alone. I have felt alone since I was diagnosed with most of my chronic diseases when I was only twelve. Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I hope you learned something from my experiences. I have learned that my journey has just begun.

I have had this procedure before, basically you get on the table. Assume the regular position, except they use a lens and the light to magnify. I think I was swabbed internally with a solution of sort, then they decided to do a biopsy. I did feel a pinch and hear a sound (I think I will take an mp3 player for tomorrow). Yes I have to have it done again after 3 years. But afterwards, I used a panty liner and had just a little spotting. I tend to think I have a high pain tolerance. I also had the Leep procedure done. The shot was the worst thing. I will take a magazine in there so I remain oblivious to the instruments. Don't want to see it. Just ignore it!

I am 34 years old and have had 3 births. I think I have a high pain tolerance. I had a colposcopy yesterday. I went by myself because everything I read was that it was not painful and was a small pinch with some cramping and some spotting. I believe this is the case most of the time. I believe there is a small % of woman who feel alot of pain as I did. From what I have read, if you have a very sensitive cervix (which I am not sure how you would know this) it can be much more painful for you.
During my procedure I was a bit nervous, but not too bad. I have been through alot of testing and procedures, so to me this was nothing new. When the doctor said he was going to biopsy a few pieces (4 in total) and I would feel a small pinch and some cramping I was fine with that. This is not what it felt like for me. It was excrutiating. I could feel the pulling and it was so painful. I held myself together for a little while, then I could feel myself get light headed and very sweaty. I told them something was wrong and I didn't feel right. They mentioned I was extremely pale and that is when I passed out. When I woke up and I was throwing up. The nurses were trying to help me.
I am sure this is not how it is for everyone, but I think it is only fair that people hear the "not so great" experiences of this test. I have also read they don't give any local freezing in the area because it can affect the test results.
I hope to never have to get this test done again and if I do, I know to bring someone with me. I was very upset afterwards and was in alot of pain.
I have quite a bit of spotting, alot of stomach cramps and am still quite uncomfortable. I hope it goes away soon.
I just wanted to share my story so that if this happens to someone else they don't feel silly or like there is something wrong with them....like I did until I read some of the stories on this site.