Hi, I am 45 years old and I have problems with gastritis for couple of years now. I changed my eating habits and improved my health in generally, but it was not enough. The problems are still present and I am afraid that it might have complicated. Can an ultrasound spot a stomach ulcer?

Ultrasound is not that efficient when it comes to inspecting stomach because of the presence of the gases and ingesta. Although a good specialist should manage to see the ulcers, if there are any in your stomach. If you really want to be sure what is going on, endocsopy is the procedure you should be scheduling.

Stomach ulcers are not that hard to diagnose but I don’t think that ultrasound is used for diagnosing them. I know that there are two methods to diagnose stomach ulcer, barium chalk test and endoscopy. I think that endoscopy is the most accurate diagnostic method for stomach ulcers. If you go for the test your doctor will examine your stomach and if there is an ulcer in your stomach your doctor would be able to have clear picture of it with help of endoscopy. He can even see all the specifications of the ulcer like color, size, shape etc. The thing is that with this procedure he can even do a biopsy of the ulcer if it is necessary.

I had my stomach ulcer detected using endoscopy last year. As for ultrasound, it might be possible if your doctor is experienced enough to detect it based on X-Ray images. Endoscopy is still the most accurate way.

By the way why do you suspect that you have a stomach ulcer? If you truly have one, you should be experiencing very serious symptoms now.