I had the bravo procedure done on Friday the 25th today is Thursday the 31st. I still have the little capsule in my espoghaus and it hurts... to eat and sleep. Is anyone else having this problem?? THe doctor of course said there would be no pain it would just be uncomfortable eating. No, no, no it hurts to eat, breathe, and sleep. The doctor said up to seven days for this capsule to fall off and today is the 7th day and I am still having the chest pain. I can hardly sleep at night it is pulling and pinching inside of my chest(esphogus) and it's painful.
If the doctors recommend the Bravo procedure and say there is no pain they are lying -- they just want you to do it the procedure. It's painful to eat. The first week I lost 5 lbs b/c I could not eat, it hurt pretty bad.

I don't know how it could be good results the 1st 24 hrs I had the device and plus it died and I was suppose to have it 48hrs!! I hardly could eat anything the 1st 24hrs my digestive system is not going to be the same as when I eat normally...

Please if you are having symptoms like mine please write back. Also if you had it done how long did it take for your capsule to fall off?
Thank you,
Katie

Hi:
I just had the capsule inserted two days, so the 48 hours has past. I'm actually glad that you said yours hurt to, because mine does too. I feel like it's a heart attack! I have hardly been able to eat either.
How long did yours hurt and did yours ever fall out?

I just had the capsule inserted on Friday and the whole time my chest hurt and still hurts today (Monday). I rarely had an appetite, I only ate to take pain meds that I had to crush up and disquise in pudding because I couldn't swallow them. Does anyone else's throat hurt when you swallow or uvula (the thing that hangs down in your throat) hurt or swollen after the procedure? It keeps touching the back of my tongue making me gag. Could I be allergic to the anestia or what could it be?

It is very anoying,and yes the doctors lie, IT HURTS.Today is the 4th day and it has still not fall of.But you have to eat to make the capsule fall of your esophagus.

I had the Bravo done on 12 /1/08 and I barely know that it is there, only when I eat. I feel a little something , but for the mosy part It went good. If I had to do it again I would.

I didn't know what I was getting into. I was scheduled for an endoscopy and while I was on the surgery table, the doctor said he wanted to insert a PH meter. I signed the papers without reading about it. It hurt for the first few days, like a pinching sensation in my thoracic region. It hurts more to eat. Today is the third day and it still hurts. I will give it a week and then demand an XRay to make sure that it fell off. Yes, it sucks and they lie about it not hurting.

i had the pravo placement done today on april 15, and it hurts to swallow, and its been about five hours and the doctors told me it would go away in a couple of hours. it hurts to drink or eat, and i have no appitite at all.

Did the probe give the doctor the readings he needed to diagnose your problems and fix them?
I'm suppose to have the probe test done on the 19th. I needed some info. on the procedure but it seems like I might have got my answers from your questions. I'm 53 and have lived with this since I was 18. Its gotten alot worse over the years.
I guess I just have to figure out which one really would be worse.

I'm glad I found this posting. This procedure is no walk in the park. It's not a sore throat. It hurts! The throat hurts, the chest hurts, the esophagus hurts... it all hurts. My doctor said it'd be the same as a regular EGD. Not true. This feels like the little alien baby from the movie "Alien" is going to pop out of my chest. They inserted the device on Monday morning. It's Thursday night and it still HURTS.

How long did it taike for your pain to go away? I had the procedure done last Wednesday, today is Sunday. It has hurt constantly, painful to swallow. Have been able to swallow soft foods only, everything else sticks and I can feel the capsule attached to the inside of my esophagus. Get shooting spasms of sharp pain from capsule site going up my esophagus. The doctor lied to me. He said it would fall off in 24 hours. Everything I've read on the internet says otherwise. Even the manufacturer's website states 5-7 days for the capsule to fall off. Fortunately I had some pain pills. By afternoon each day I am forced to take one because the pain is so severe. What complicates things for me is the blood thinner, plavix ,I am on to prevent my coronary stents from being blocked by a blood clot. I had to be off of it for four days prior to the procedure, then two days afterwards. Now I am back on it. What happens when the capsule decides to fall off? It must already be extremely irritated. What if there is bleeding? I am fearful now of a gastrointestional bleed when the thing does fall off. and of course the plavix will delay blood clotting. I would not recommend this procedure to anyone. The docs will tell you anykthing to get you to agree to have it. I really don't know what it is going to accomplish in my case. I have a documented 20 year history of severe refux disease already.

Hey I'm sorry but I forgot to come back to this site to let everybody know how my Bravo went.
They had to give me twice as much of the drugs to get me under, so they could do the procedure.
The surgery went fine, they just had trouble waking me up to go home.
As far as pain goes, I may have felt just a very little bit of pain at one time. I could describe it as very very slight heart burn for about 5 seconds. I had no other symptoms. The doctors got the readings they needed and I guess the probe eventually came out.
I'm sorry for the ones that had so much trouble and pain with their procedure.
I had had severe heartburn/reflux for 36 years. They sent me to a surgeon. They were wanting to do surgery but we talked about it and decided to try to change my eating habits and to reduce my alcohol intake. I used to eat 1 big meal a day and that was at 9 o'clock at night. Right before I went to bed.
Now I eat 3 regullar meals when I'm suppose to, and my alcohol intake has went to none. But I still take Nexium twice a day.
I feel great! :-D

Great. I am having the procedure done tomorrow and I am scared. I already feel like I have something caught in my throat b/c I also have a hiatal hernia. something tells me this is going to suck. :'(

I had the probe inserted today and as soon as i woke up, started having severe spasms on the left side of my chest. It was so bad, they took xrays and CT scan, but both were normal. I was losing my breath b/c the spasms were getting tighter with each breath. I was crying like a baby and I can usually tolerate a lot of pain. Doc told me scans looked fine, and pain was easing up so i told him that i just want to walk around for a bit and then go home. As soon as i started eating after i got home, i doubled over with every bite b/c of severe pain. I was starving so i kept eating despite the torture. I have eaten two more times since then, and the pain is still severe with every swallow of food i take. The doc and nurses all said that they have never seen this kind of side affect before. I see on this thread that it may be the first time for this hospital, but it does happen to people and i'm not crazy. I hope this pain goes away soon. I'm not an over-eater, but i hate to miss a meal.

Ugh, I had this done yesterday, and holy hell, this SUCKS. It feels like someone's stabbing me with a rusty knife. It hurts to breathe, it hurts to cough, to sleep, to drink, and especially to eat. I was trying to eat some soup last night - and after two hours of trying, I was sobbing and had only finished half a bowl. They finally prescribed me pain meds and I'm at least eating some more soup today with less pain - but this is ridiculous!

I can't even eat enough to cause reflux - so the results are going to be skewed anyway. NOT worth the money, the time, or the flawed results. I would never recommend this for anyone! wtf is wrong with doctors?

Don't worry the discomfort will go away in a few days. I had similiar experience past my Bravo procedure on March 10, 2010. Don't think I would ever have it done again because I didn't trust the results. Have suffered with severe acid reflux for 25 years to the point where I have had bleeding lesions in my esophagus and my new gastro doc (my old doc had retired) said the Bravo results showed I had no reflux! So now I am disqualified from my health insurance ever paying to have any surgical procedure to correct my chronic esophagitis. I have taken Prilosec 20mg twice a day, zantac 150mg twice a day, plus Gavison before bedtime and mylanta liquid past meals in the daytime in order to obtain relief. Oddly enough, the reflux acid is worse when I try to diet and eat less. It seems like my stomach needs to be full of carbs to help absorb all the acid. Be sure you are aware of the fact that, according to the literature from company, who manufactures the Bravo capsule, that one cannot have an MRI within 30 days of having the capsule inserted.