I am supposed to have my gastroscopy done in next week. I have been felling some pain in abdominal area and doctors simply cannot pinpoint the cause. My urinary tract has been examined, including kidneys, and they checked fine. Undergoing gastroscopy is next step in determining cause of my trouble. Can you tell me something more about this procedure?

Gastroscopy is a treatment used for detailed examination of stomach, duodenum and gullet. During the procedure doctors use instrument made of flexible optic fiber that goes through the mouth and all the way to the stomach. This method is usually completely painless, but some light sedative is still given to the patient, just in case. Also, anesthetic is used for mouth to make it numb and allow the instrument to pass easily. Rest assured, this is a standard procedure, done every day, so do not worry.