German Cannibal Sentenced to Prison
KASSEL, Germany - A German who confessed to killing, dismembering and eating another man who allegedly agreed to the arrangement over the Internet was convicted Friday of manslaughter and sentenced to 8 1/2 years in prison. Armin Meiwes, a 42-year-old computer expert, had no "base motives" in the crime, a state court ruled, sparing him a murder conviction.

Prosecutors had sought a life sentence, calling Meiwes a "human butcher" who acted simply to "satisfy a sexual impulse." They said they would appeal the verdict. The defense argued that since the victim volunteered to be killed and eaten, the crime should be classified a mercy killing, which carries a five-year maximum penalty.

Before the verdict, Meiwes looked calm, chatting with his attorney and occasionally grinning for cameras allowed inside the courtroom. After the sentence was read, he shook his lawyer's hand and nodded curtly to the photographers. Explaining the verdict, Presiding Judge Volker Muetze said Meiwes' intention was not evil but "the fulfillment of his fantasy." His primary motive was "the wish to make another man part of himself," Muetze said. "Meiwes reached this bonding experience through the consumption of the flesh."

Meiwes confessed in detail to killing Bernd Juergen Brandes, at Meiwes' home in the town of Rotenburg. Brandes traveled from Berlin in reply to an Internet advertisement seeking a young man for "slaughter and consumption." Meiwes testified that Brandes wanted to be stabbed to death after drinking a bottle of cold medicine to lose consciousness.

"Bernd came to me of his own free will to end his life," Meiwes said in his closing statement in court Monday. "For him, it was a nice death." Still, he said he regretted the killing. "I had my big kick and I don't need to do it again," he said. "I regret it all very much, but I can't undo it."

A grisly video he made of the act was shown to the court during a closed session. A doctor testified that Brandes died from loss of blood and that the medication, along with a half-bottle of liquor and 20 sleeping pills he took beforehand, could not have lessened his pain. Several experts have testified that Meiwes was fit to stand trial and was not mentally ill.

Police tracked down and arrested him after a student in Austria alerted them to a message Meiwes had posted on the Internet. "If I hadn't been so stupid as to keep looking on the Internet, I would have taken my secret to the grave," Meiwes said in his closing statement.

I went to that town when we lived in Germany--it's an old walled city and really really cool! It was partially destroyed by allied bombing in WWII, but rebuilt almost exactly. What I don't get is that the citizens tend to be older and very wary of strangers. This guy is UBER strange. Did you see the part that he said he could have taken his secret to the grave had he avoided the internet? He doesn't seem to feel to guilty to me! :umno:

Do you think taking a multivitamin every day would curb his craving for human flesh? Like, is it a B12 deficiency or something? Or maybe he's

freakishly psycho

If they other guy hadn't been eaten I think he should have gone to jail too. Who signs up to be cannibalized?

that's a very short, and silent list

When they asked him if he had eaten the victim, did he throw up his hands?