Back in May 2006, Dallas police received a report of an unconscious man sprawled outside a downtown Dallas building. When the police and paramedics arrived, the man tried to fight the police officer by kicking him and spitting on him when the officer tried to arrest him for public intoxication. The intoxicated men taunted the officer saying he was HIV positive.
After the trial, the homeless man, known as Willie Campbell, was sentenced to 35 years in prison for harassing a public servant with a deadly weapon: his saliva and will not be eligible for parole until he had served half of his sentence.

During the trial, who has been H.I.V. positive since 1994, denied resisting arrest or spitting at the officer.
Mr. Campbell's said that his client had been indicted under a habitual-offender statute that increased the penalty in his case to a minimum of 25 years in prison, because he had been convicted of attacking two other officers in a similar manner and biting two inmates, as well as more than two dozen other offenses.
The prosecutor said the reasons were obvious as to why they needed to get this guy off the streets. Luckily, none of the three officers attacked by Mr. Campbell contracted H.I.V.

Mr. Campbell was forced to listen to the sentencing from a holding cell as he shouted at the prosecutor and police officers, calling them liars and telling them to “rot in hell” for “railroading an innocent man. He is currently awaiting transfer from the Dallas jail to prison.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that H.I.V. is primarily spread through sexual contact or the exchange of blood and that contact with saliva, tears or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of H.I.V.

Lambda Legal, which advocates for people living with the virus, says it's a shame that there is still an incredible amount of ignorance about H.I.V. and how H.I.V. is or isn’t transmitted.