Hi, I have been working out for quite some time now. I think it has been over a year since I have started to lift weights. I am very pleased with the results, but the workout routine has become a bit of a bore. I have talked to my instructor about this and he has suggested I try German Volume Training. He said that it would be a nice change of pace for me. But when I have asked him what types of exercises I will be doing, he only said that the exercises are the same, but that the workout structure is changed. I am very intrigued with GVT and would want to know more about it. What can you tell me about GVT? Is this workout program good for me?

Hi, German Volume Training or GVT is relatively new concept of weight lifting. The people who are GVT enthusiasts say that with this type of workout you will build significant muscle mass in two to three months. However, the program is very hard and takes a lot of effort. The second name for German Volume Training is ten sets of ten reps. This means that you are doing ten repetitions of the same exercise in ten sets, with two minutes between the sets, for beginners. Also, the weight you will have to lift should be the weight you would be able to lift in twenty repetitions to failure. Your trainer will probably know what the ideal weight for you would be. The resting time between the sets is very important and should be measured with a stopwatch to make sure you are not prolonging it. Also, since these exercises are very exhausting you should do exercises that involve most of the muscles of one muscle group. And only one exercise for one body part is performed. If you are bored with your old regular workout program you should definitely give German Volume training a try.