I have a two year old step son. He doesn't like his birth mother that much. long story, but he'll scream and cry when he even sees her. She does drugs and doesn't take care of him. He's always in poor health and hygene from her. Trust me BAD SITUATION! We don't have the money to get a lawyer yet for full custody any suggestions to help us?? I'm so desperate. :(

Hello MicCan,

As a parent myself I can understand the feelings you must have knowing that your stepson is in, what seems to be, his unfit biological mother's care part-time. I have a son as well, 19 months, and I know that if me and his father were not together and he was returned to me in a state of what I would call neglect (unwashed, hungry etc.), I would be livid. If you are in the middle of trying for full custody (I know many who have been through it, and how long + grueling it can be) and are very fearful for him, and his well being, I would report her to child services, effective immediately. At two years old, he may not be able to fully voice his own fears and concerns, it is your job as the adult to do so, to help him. Sometimes he may be confused, after all, unfit as she may be, she is his mommy. You can ask him things like, have you eaten, did you get a bath today, etc. to have evidence to present in court for when the time comes. May I ask, what has his father suggested about all this? 

Good luck to you. And may he be safe.

<3

He is just as upset about the whole situation. We want to try for full custody, but right now we can't get the money togetherand it's killing me. We tried calling CPS, she was already involved with them because when he was born he was flooded with THC in his system and lungs were shot because she is an id**t. The baby doesn't even like her, if you mention, "other mommy" (he calls me momma) he actually gets an attitude. He will cry when he sees her when we give him back.

Hello Again,

What happened when you called CPS? If she's under their scope she should be getting in serious trouble if your step-son is always in "poor health and hygiene" . Did you stress that they need to go into her home for a review? Considering she's already involved in the system, many social workers do unscheduled visits and such to see how the child is doing in their environment. I believe that your step-son would rather stay with you and your husband, you don't have to get defensive, I'm on your side :) I'm just trying to tell you that even if you haven't gotten the money for the lawyer , court costs presently, you can see that the child is removed from her home and into yours if you have sufficient documentation of neglect and child endangerment (the drug use and so on).

Keep Trying.