I got a second opinion regarding my risk for glucoma after the first opthalmogolist told me that my IOP (intraoccular pressure) is higher than norm. I was having headaches after that so I ask another opthalmologist and he said my optic nerve is thinner than 10 years ago when he first saw me. I was told that my getting glucoma is high. Can someone explain to me what cause this thinning of the optic nerve and what are my options for treatment. I'm nearsighted and has good vision at this time. I only wear glasses for driving. Thank you for any information.

My father is about to have a laser surgery for glaucoma. I reckon that this thinning and damage to the nerve is caused by abnormal (higher) intraocular pressure. There are two possible reasons why intraocular pressure occurs. These are increased production or impaired outflow of aqueous fluid. However, it happens that a person’s normal eye pressure is just elevated or higher that the average.
In my opinion, you should work closely with your ophthalmologist, measure IOP and act according to the pressure, your symptoms and of course age.
Some doctors prescribe eye drops to lower IOP. Since these eye drops cause side effects other doctors decide to watch the IOP and if problems occur, then take actions. This is most likely if a person’s vision field is not impaired.
If your doctor believes it is time for action (surgery), you may decide to have a second opinion and then act accordingly.