Good Day,

Kindly provide information about, How to assess Glucoma,How many types of glucoma are there? and How to assess glucoma type?

And possible medications.

regards,

AAI

Hello there, your question is pretty vague as glaucoma is a huge subject in Optometry. I will try my best to answer your questions but I may miss out some points as I don't have time to write 10,000 words.

How to assess for glaucoma?
-Intraocular pressure measurements via non-contact tonometry (puff of air) or contact tonometry (your cornea is anestatised for this)
-Visual field check - glaucoma can cause damage to the Optic Nerve Head at the back of the eye and as the pressure begins to cause damage to the ONH there is a characteristic sequence of visual field loss. You have to hope here that you catch it early before too much vision is lost - especially your central vision.
-Ophthalmoscopy (Indirect or direct) - Changes at the optic disc can be seen here
-Measuring the RNFL thickness - Zeiss have some fancy machines available for sale which calculate the thickness of the retina. by comparing this to normals a glaucomotous patient can be identified.
-Assessment of the anterior chamber angle (van Hericks or gonioscopy) - this is mainly for ensuring that closed angle glaucoma isn't an issue for a patient. If this angle is narrow then a patient may suffer an episode of closed angle glaucoma when their eye pressure spikes or if their pupils are dilated with drugs. If a patient actually has this they will be in agony - the pain has been described as being similar to that of a gun shot wound.

Types?

I'll be vague here and say three:

Open Angle Glaucoma - slow progressive loss of vision normally with associated high eye pressure (although some patients sometimes have normal measurements)

Closed Angle Glaucoma - see above

Congenital Glaucoma - Usually seen at birth. Also known as buphophthalmous this can make the kids eyes look like cow eyes (extremely bulgy appearance)