Hi. 24 yo F and recently was diagnosed with optical neuritis. My eyes hurt and the vision is all blurred. I also have some sort of a viral infection and wonder is there a link? What could be the cause of my eye problem?

Hi. The cause of optic neuritis is often unknown, but it may be caused by a viral infection, multiple sclerosis, intraocular inflammation, meningitis, syphilis, vaccination… Your vision should recover within 8-10 weeks. Most patients with optic neuritis recover in a few months without any kind of a treatment. When treatment is needed, your doc will probably give you intravenous corticosteroids and some other drugs.

hi, i am currently having my second episode of optical neuritis (retro bulbar - behind the optic nerve) but also have pain around my left eye, ear neck and teeth all on one side of the face. I have been prescribed antibiotics for my sinuses. I also take a nasal spray for sinusitis. The pain started first then the vision loss. I have experienced the pain for several years (without vision loss) and have been diagnosed with sinusitis. I am also wondering whether the two are linked and now the doctor thinks this may be cluster headaches. Has anyone else experienced this?