Hi! My mother has just come from her eye doctor and her diagnosis is glaucoma. She is desperate because she thinks that she will be blind soon. I try to explain to her that everything will be ok but I’m also worried. I want to ask somebody with glaucoma what's living with glaucoma like?

Don’t worry! People with glaucoma don’t need to change the way they live. If you control this eye disease with medicine or surgery, you can continue with your life as you did before. Your mother can continue to work, to read, drive a car and use their eyes the way they always have.

At first it was very hard to accept that I have glaucoma. I can't even imagine that I have it at a very young age though anyone at any age can have the disease. It changed my life from my level of happiness and quality of living but I think that would be just me. It took me a month before finally accepting it to be part of my life. Don't worry too much because it can be controlled with eye drops or laser surgery. As much as possible, get regular eye exams to monitor your mom's IOP. Maintaining normal eye pressure is they key to prevent further damage of the optic nerve since it cannot regenerate itself. When I was diagnosed with glaucoma, I had eye exams every week. It depends on how many times your mother will have eye exams. You just need to follow every orders from the doctor. Remember to take the medicines religiously. When we say "religiously," don't miss anything and it should be taken on time (better ask the doctor about it). Surgery is your last resort if eye drops or pills aren't taking effect in lowering IOP. If the doctor will declare "medically uncontrolled," then that could be the time that surgery will take place. And don't forget that family history is a big factor of developing the disease! I hope you also got eye exam since your mother has it unless she has diabetes or something that didn't came from your bloodline. Early detection would be your best option for now since there is no known cure for it. Researchers say that they are getting close to the cure, but not too close I think. :/