I have diabetes and off course, I am trying to keep sugar level normal. I am using Glyburide but I am afraid I am going to became pregnant soon. I think I have heard once that Glyburide is not recommended during pregnancy. Can you tell me if that is true, now I am worried about this? Should I talk to my doctor first, or immediately I found out I am pregnant stop using this?

I definitely mean that more information is sorely needed about the possible effects of oral glucose-lowering agents during pregnancy. Although diabetes type 2 is a growing problem among women of childbearing age, there are no data about the safety of commonly used oral diabetes drugs on fetus. Pregnant women have been routinely excluded from clinical trials of Gluburide, which is why we do not have so valuable results. This is due largely to liability concerns of pharmaceutical firms that might fund such trials. Yet abundant data clearly show that uncontrolled maternal diabetes is teratogenic, and that is something we all know. It appears that in many cases, adverse fetal outcomes that have been attributed to oral glucose-lowering agents, such as Glyburide, were probably due to the diabetes itself. Insulin works, of course, but it is not usually an attractive option for women who are used to taking pills for their diabetes. It is very important to counsel each patient that the risk of anomalies and other complications is probably related to woman’s diabetes, rather than the medications. Anyway, as a practical matter, none of these drugs is approved for use during pregnancy. For now, we know that use of Glyburide during the 2nd and 3rd term of pregnancy does not appear to affect the fetus, but use of Glyburide during pregnancy you should discuss with your doctor.