So I am a pregnant woman with gestational diabetes.  Will I have to go on insulin as the pregnancy goes on?  I really don't want to because I don't want any drugs in my system that can harm my baby.  Is there anyone who knows anything about this?  I refuse pain meds and I plan to deliver without any use of pain meds too.

Hi Guest,

If you can't control your diabetes with diet then you may need insulin.  It is a naturally occuring drug in your body - it won't harm your baby.  You make insulin in your pancreas but sometimes, during pregnancy, need help.

It's not a painkiller or antibiotic.

Your doctor can help you with this as you will need to keep your blood sugar levels monitored.

Hope it helps.

I understand that this can be a scary type of thing to occur during your pregnancy. Everyone wants their pregnancy to go well with no health issues and to have a healthy baby. Depending on your situation, you may or may not need to go on insulin. How is your blood glucose levels since you are on a diet and exercise regime? Are they within an appropriate range or are you having any difficulties controlling them? If they are well-controlled with diet and exercise, you should be o.k. for the remainder of your pregnancy and not worry about taking insulin injections. However, if your blood sugars are not very well-controlled, the doctor may try to put you on oral medication. Oral medication, like glyburide, will be prescribed for you to help stimulate your pancreas to produce more insulin. If the oral medication does not do anything to help control your blood glucose levels, then the next course of treatment will be insulin injections. So there is no worry about going on insulin automatically. If you are concerned about what it does to the baby, put your concerns aside. Insulin is a naturally occurring substance in your body. When a person injects insulin, it acts as if ordinary insulin from your pancreas is in your body, taking up the extra glucose your body's cells need.

Are there any other people out there that have gone on insulin while they were pregnant? What are your experiences with it? Any input would be appreciated!