I am 23 years old and I suffer of diabetes type II. I know it was much harder before to diabetic women to plan pregnancy then is now. Since I suffer from this disease so long, I know pretty much about it. I found out that development of new tests and new theories about managing diabetes it is reasonable for diabetic woman to plan to have a family. What I don’t know is can I keep my pregnancy if I use Glyburide?

It also became traditional to think that women with diabetes should plan to control their diabetes with insulin. That was off course if medications are needed and during pregnancy. There was an intriguing article recently about the use of Glyburide, or sulfonylurea diabetes pill, during pregnancy instead of using insulin. Problem was that this study included only using of Glyburide in women with gestational diabetes. For now, editor’s opinion is that is inappropriate to use Glyburide during pregnancy unless part of a fully informed situation. Those situations are phase 4 of clinical trial protocol, where risks as well as benefits are fully discussed and understood. Also, in a carefully selected group of patients, treat an oral agent could be a good alternative. In the case of diabetes developing during pregnancy, or so called gestational diabetes, insulin is recommended only for a few months. As you see, insulin was more adjustable than Glyburide. I can’t tell you for sure answer to your question; the best is to take a long conversation with your doctor.