Hi there,

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 (blood sugar level of 10.9 the other day) and malabsorption due to pancreatic enzyme ineffeciency following the birth of my daughter. I feel bloated and full most of the time and am not able to digest food so it looks as if the doctors will prescribe enzymes and diabetes pills to control this.

I believe that this is connected with chronic pancreatitits although I dont have any pain just the bloating, loose stools and lack of appetite.

Can anyone advise me if it would be possible to have a second child with this condition? I don't smoke, don't drink anymore and eat healthily but am concerned that if I got pregnant that the enzymes would damage the baby or that the baby might not get enough nutrition to grow.

Are there ways in pregnancy to give one liquid minerals and vitamins which could go more quickly into your blood stream?

thanks for responding

Caroline

Hi! You can have a healthy baby if you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. The key is to obtain optimal blood glucose levels before and during pregnancy. This will require more work on your part but it's worth it! And you should speak to your doctor at least three months before you try to conceive. I believe you can get pregnant but first you need to deal with your pancreatic enzyme inefficiency. This condition can result from any cause of pancreatitis, including trauma and infection. Pancreatic enzymes can be taken by mouth to replace those that are no longer made by the pancreas. Talk to your doctor and see what's the proper therapy. I found that acute pancreatitis during pregnancy can have a high maternal mortality and fetal loss, so it is important to deal with pancreatitis first. Good luck.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the response! I don't think my pancreatitis is acute as there isn't much pain just a little bit of back pain. My concern is the enzymes as I know that they can be taken outside pregnancy but am not sure what would replace them and getting adequate nutrition during the pregnancy is my body isn't digesting properly! I guess I will have to research further and see what the specialists think. Good news about the diabetes if I could control it as I don't eat much sugar anymore either. Can diabetes pills be taken during pregnancy?

OK, these are the information I found that could be helpful. In diabetes, blood glucose levels are above normal. Whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, you can manage your blood glucose levels and lower the risk of health problems. A baby’s brain, heart, kidneys, and lungs form during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. High blood glucose levels are especially harmful during this early part of pregnancy. Yet many women don’t realize they’re pregnant until 5 or 6 weeks after conception. Ideally, you will work with your doctor to get your blood glucose under control before you get pregnant. You should get your diabetes under control 3 to 6 months before you try to get pregnant. Talk with your doctor about your diabetes medications, what kinds, how much, how to take them, and when to take them. If you are taking diabetes pills to control your blood glucose, you may not be able to take them when you are pregnant. The safety of using diabetes pills during pregnancy has not been established, so it is likely that your doctor will have you switch to insulin right away.

Many thanks for this. Actually this sounds odd but I could have diabetes type 1 as my blood sugar levels are normal when fasting but not normal (ie around 10.9) within two hours of eating.

Do you know anything about digestive enzymes and malabsorption syndrome during pregnancy? I am still being tested but fear I have a problem with my pancreas which is causing diabetes and also malabsorption and a total loss of appetite.

thanks

Caroline