Well I'm new runner. I mostly run on a tred mill but I hit the track when I can. What I would like to know is the best way to build up to running 5 to 10 miles at a pretty good pace. I know speed is a factor here so learning how to build up speed would also help. I love advice and eat it up. My biggest goal is to run 5 miles in 40 minutes. I'm hoping to do this in a year or less. Right now I can run a mile in around 9 minutes. I'm not terribly tired after wards and it's getting easier every time I do it. It used to take me 13 minutes to run a mile. So I can see improvments. So any help or suggestions would help a great deal. I'm hoping a year is enough time. Thanks for the help. :o

As a new runner, I would say building a good mileage base is going to be the key to reaching your goal.

You need to work on building your milage up, slowly. Runners World has a couple of training programs that help you build milage this way.

I will say that where you are now, compared to where your goal is, is a pretty steep goal. Not that you can't reach it, but maybe you want an intermediate goal to put in there somewhere. Run 3 miles at 8:30 pace or something.

I'll agree with Coach here. When i started running last August I was three years removed from college where i ran cross country. At my best (which was still undertrained) I was in the 32 minute range. Through injuries I had a worst race of 40 minutes.
Right now, after a year's worth of running (though not always great training), 40 minutes for 5 miles is a realistic goal and is in sight for the future, but it is also not where I am at. It has taken a lot of work to get from 11 minute miles to being able to do a 5k at 8 minutes or less pace.
Like Coach said, i would think about intermediate goals as you lower your times and increase distance. All of this would lead to your 40 minute goal, but it would be progress to get you there.