hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and so far it looks great. I really got into running last summer... by the way I'm 14-years-old. I usually run only four miles with a 5:30 pace. I would really like to increase my distance, but keep my speed. I plan on running some 10ks in the future. The only problem is during the week I have high school soccer conditioning. Because of conditioning, I run only 2.5 miles so I am not wore out before the practice. On weekends I run 4 miles, although I did run 6.3 last Saturday (I ran it in 43 min.). So my question is, how should I go about increasing my mileage without wearing myself out?

scott :)

It may sound slow but since you are already doing a ton of activity what with the soccer conditioning and running it really is the best way to do it.

I would next week run 3 miles instead of 2.5 miles two of the days..then the next week run 3 miles instead of 2.5 miles three of the days..etc. Once you get to 3 miles everyday, do the same thing with 3.5..you get what im sayin.

I've been through the same thing, scottn27. Is this soccer conditioning just scrimmaging, weight-lifting, or is it running conditioning? Running conditioning won't hurt your speed too much, especially if you're doing wind sprints.

I'd say to do what xSprint suggested. Possibly increase milage over the weekend too. Have weekends be distance days where you do 5 and over. During the weekdays make the 2.5 miles, or however many you do, a fast workout where you crank out your speed. A tempo or fartlek run would work well.

Even though it might be tough for the first week or two, I'd highly recommend that you start doubling up. That being, get out for early morning distance runs, rest up through the morning and hit it hard again for your afternoon soccer. If you're serious about becoming a 10km runner, soccer training is not going to do it. I'd start out with 3-4 milers in the mornings and then after the initial couple weeks of getting used to it, start bumping up the Tuesday and Thursday morning runs to 5 and the following weeks 6 and then 7. Keep the M/W/F runs at 3-mi. Then on the weekends try to get an even longer run, eventually topping out around 10-milers.

Believe you me, I've been there and done that. Doubling up your training at your age has nothing but up-side. Like I said, there might be some initial adjustment days, but at your age, "wearing myself out" shouldn't be a concern when we're talking about 30-mi weeks.

My soccer conditioning is two hours long. It's more of a practice; we work on possession, finishing, and we scrimmage. Then we usually do winds sprints for about 20 minutes.
So far two people have told me to progress slowly, and one has advised to hit it hard right from the biginning. As of now, I think I'll try to progress slowly so I am fresh for conditioning. I have to be honest, soccer is more important than running for me, and the conditioning is sort of a tryout since our coach leads it. Thanks again for all of the help.

scott

That's too bad

but it's the truth.

edit// Don't get me wrong, I LOVE running. It is something I plan to do my whole life. But, right now if I had to choose between running and soccer, I would choose soccer. Please do not suspect I am not serious about running, because I am... but I just happen to like soccer more.

scott

simple: slow down. Between soccer drills and keeping one 4 miler at 5:30 pace-----you'll increase your distance and keep your speed, it ain't going anywhere. Take one day a week (a day w/o soccer) and increase your distance--(slow down though).

I also am 14 and a extremely heavy soccer player, i play soccer 5 times a week, with one 1:30 hour conditioning session. I just started running in early may doing one, 3 mile run a week. Now, my fitness level is up and i'm doing a 6.4 mile run every second day. My best time i raced during a 10k (6.4 miler) was 43 minutes also, and that was only my second race. I think you should keep up what your doing and slowly increase you mileage every week.