Ok so I'm joining the Airforce and I'm in the process of training for basic. Now that I'm living with my Grandparents they don't like me running outside so I use their treadmill. I'm a slow runner and I know when I'm outside it takes me 13 minutes to do a mile and that's with walking part of the way. As you can tell I have a lot of work to do. But when I run on the treadmill it takes roughly 14 to 16 minutes and that's when running the entire time. Why is that? And is their any tips to help me get my mile under 8 minutes?

Are you sure that the mile you run outside is exactly a mile? It could be that you are actually running less than a mile outside than on a treadmill. Other than that i see no reason why it would take you 3 more extra minutes on a treadmill, except if your treadmill is broken or something, but that's highly unlikely.

If you want to build your endurance and run faster you need to push the envelope. By that i mean, when you are running and you really feel that you can't take another step, suck it up and run. Run for as long and as fast as you can. My coach always used to tell me that you are building your speed and endurance in the moment when you can't take another step.

Besides that, make sure you are hydrated. Drink plenty of water. Make sure you are properly breathing. Inhale on your nose and exhale on mouth.

How often do you run? Do you run go just one mile or?

Yes what I do outside is a mile and yeah we discovered yesterday the distance is off on our treadmill. Its really old lol. And thank you for the tips :)

And I run almost everyday about twice a day. I take a break on Saturdays.