hi im new here and this is my 1st post. my name is Reese and im traing to be a US Navy seal as my user ID states. my biggest problem is that i simply can not run long distances no matter how hard i try, i feel like im gona die after running about 1 mile in 8-9 mins. I have a sprinters build, my thighs are 26'' around of almost pure solid muscle. i need to be able to run 1.5 miles in about 8-9 mins and i have to be able to run 4 miles in 26-28 mins and last but not least 10 miles at a moderate pace. I have no experiance running my form is probly sloppy and my breathing tends to be more like gasping for air. the good news is im not planning on leaving for about a year so i have a good amount of time to fix this problem. any help getting me those goals would be greatly appricated.

i forgot to mention i am 20yrs old 5' 9'' 193lbs. my target weight is about 170lbs (that would put me at around 5-6% body fat), i started at 202lbs tuesday the 14th so im well on my way to the weight loss goal, that will not be an issue and neither with strength training, i do very well at that. but if i can not become a much stronger runner i will not be able to pass BUD/S training. i recover very well from training no matter how much i do im rarely sore the next day. i am an extream kinda person when it comes to training with a tendency to do too much rather than too little, thats the way i like it. my will power is iron clad, i can eat nothing but plain tuna out of a can for days, i quit smoking, abusing drugs (weed and coke) and alcohol, and being fat and lazy all cold turky. im a bad speller, im more of a math and science kinda guy, so forgive my gramtical and punctual erors. i am willing to do anything and everything to reach my goals. i appreciate any and all advice that will help me reach my goals so i can defend my country to the best of my abilities. thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry you didn't receive a response faster on this... But, here is my advice:

You need to SLOW DOWN! I know your goal is to run fast, but you need to slowly build up your speed. You said you have a year, so you definitely have time!

I had this problem when I was starting out running. I would run too fast, needing to stop for walk breaks all the time. I asked some experienced runners who told me to slow it WAY down to a pace where I felt like I could run forever.

You should not feel like your dying, with your heart beating out of your chest or you can't catch your breath. That means you're going to fast and you won't improve like that.

Slow it down for a while, to a pace where you can run a good distance (3 miles? the further the better) without stopping. Then work on improving your speed with intervals of speed running, or I've heard hills can really do the trick!

Seal-in-training,

Hi and welcome to the world o'runnin'! I myself have been running for the past six years. What began as what I initially thought was my foolhardy attempt to be a runner has ultimately turned into rewarding personal achievement. It didn't happen overnight.

My first few runs lasted not much more than fifteen minutes...and about three quarters of a mile. I now run about thirty miles a week. From what I've experienced/read in countless running rags, is to (like the other guy suggested) start slowly and gradually increase distance and speed. You seem like a full-throttle personality, but if you set the bar too high too soon, you'll only frustrate yourself, decreasing your odds of hittin' your SEAL requirements...

I'd increase your distance by no more than about ten percent every two weeks. After you reach the point when running a mile and a half doesn't cause you any strain, start working on your time. Have you tried adding some beats to your routine? When I'm feeling sluggish (or just looking to kick it up a few notches) I crank my favorite music.

Hope this helps- and good luck with the Navy!

-Jen