Hi! I have a friend coming from abroad to visit me for a week or two. The problem is that she is vegetarian and I and my family are not. I want her to feel welcomed and at home and to do that I must respect her life-style choice. I want to buy all the groceries that she can eat, so that she wouldn’t have to buy her own food or go out to eat every time she is hungry. I heard that they don’t drink milk or eat eggs but that there are some substitutes for the milk that vegans can drink. What are the most common milk substitutes?

Hello! First of all I want to say that I admire you for trying so hard to make your friend feel good in your home. I have a friend who is lactose intolerant and she cannot drink ordinary milk. She drinks soy milk which is a substitute for the kind of milk we drink and is supposed to be healthier too. You can also find it in different flavors, and there is also yogurt made from it. I think that there is even a soy-replacement for eggs, but I am not sure about that, maybe you can ask around in your supermarket.

I agree that soy milk is one substitute for diary milk but it is certainly not the only one. There are two categories of milk substitutes and they are grain milk and plant milk. The most common grain milk is rice milk and you can also find it in different flavors like chocolate, vanilla or almond. The most common plant milk is soy milk. You have already heard about it. Other examples include coconut milk, almond milk, and peanut milk. It is important to know that some milk substitutes are healthier than milk because they are lower in cholesterol and saturated fat. Yet milk substitutes are often lacking in vitamins or dietary minerals present in milk (such as Vitamin B12 or calcium), and because of that they are sometimes fortified.