My mother never had any symptom, and one day she is accidentally diagnosed with hemochromatosis. That really surprised me because she is 53 years old and she never thought about this disorder. Now, when we are faced with this sad fact, I need to hear more about it. Can you tell me something more about this disease? In addition, I need to know possible ways to treat her newly condition.

Hemochromatosis is the most common form of iron overload disease. That is noting unusual she is diagnosed in this years, because symptoms tend to occur later in life. In men, symptoms usually occur between the ages of 30 and 50 and in women over age 50. However, many people have no symptoms when they are diagnosed, as your mother’s case was. Problem with this inherited disorder is that causes the body to absorb and store too much iron. The extra iron builds up in organs and damages them, so without treatment, the disease can cause these organs to fail. Joint pain is the most common complaint of people with hemochromatosis, I do not know if you can remember did your mother complain about it. Other common symptoms include fatigue, lack of energy, abdominal pain, loss of sex drive, and sometimes even heart problems. Treatment is simple, inexpensive, and safe, called phlebotomy. First step is to rid the body of excess iron, which is not so hard. Although treatment cannot cure the conditions associated with established hemochromatosis, it will help.