My husband had rotator cuff surgery 8 wks ago. All went great for 2 weeks and the pt started on the 3rd day but then his hand and arm swelled up and stiffened. The dr told him to throw away the sling (he had worn it religiously as instructed) and get to working the hand. The PT had to crack the wrist. Now the hand is still stiff, hurts all the time, when he squeezes it he gets a sharp pain in the tricept area, and sleep is always interrupted by pain. PT suggested he try the sling at night. Dr says its a nerve problem he's seen only 3 other times and it went away in those cases. But what if it doesn't? I've heard nerve problems need to be dealt with early or they stay. What do we do??

Hi Bev , Im a neck patient who had acdf surgery ironically  now shoulder issue 2 yrs later. I know if there is a nerve problem surgeon told  me usually you have--- 18 months to find a resolve from the 1st onset of nerve symptoms (sounds like u have some time). I know there a test they do called EMG (nerve test) --Maybe give it another week or two see how he does.If it doesnt get better I would all the office and inquire about getting this done. Did the Doc run any test after surgery x-rays or mri??

No tests were done. I'm happy to hear that we have more than 3 months for this to straighten out. We'll see the doctor again in one week and will ask a few more pointed questions and see what he says to the emg test. Or maybe there will be improvement by then. I hope so! Thanks for your reply!