I had right shoulder surgery which consisted of rotator cuff tear and bankart stablization repair on sept 20 2006, it is noww almost march and I have a frozen capsul, so my therapist (physical that is) says. I can only raise my arm up to about 50 percent before the pain begins also it is stff at that point, I can't raise it all the way yet and i also have to arch my back while doing my exercises at therapy when lying down on my back and he is stretching my arm over my head. the pain is still around the same spot it hurt before surgery and i also have pain around the bicep tendon on the front of the shoulder. Coming down with the arm from the raised point is the most painful I have like a big pinch or piercing pain. Should I get a second opinion?

Iam in the same boat as you. I had bankart surgery in Dec 2006 and today I am so much worse than before my surgery. Frozen shoulder and terrible pain. I haven't had a good night sleep since my surgery.

I too had a bankart repair. Even developed 2 10" dvt's in that arm and 8 pulmonary embolisms! Nearly died! Also developed a frozen shoulder. However, I got in with a great physical therapist and 8 months after surgery, I was able to do handstands again! A GOOD shoulder pt person saved me! I suggest you call around and fins a good shoulder therapist ... not just anyone.

Laurie

Laurie is right on. There are numerous PTs around, but not all care to be great.

Mark

I had rotator cuff surgery/labrum repair 6 months ago and my shoulder is still frozen. I went back to the doctor to find out why I still don't have my range of motion and he stated I have frozen shoulder. He gave me the steroid shot in my shoulder and it seemed to help a little bit but I still can't get the range back. It seems like the physical therapist does not want to tell me anything about what is going on with the muscles/tendons in the shoulder because they don't want to be "liable" if anything they say is wrong. I am having to self pay for physical therapy so I am limited on where I can go.

To knemeth, if you are self-paying, whether from no insurance or no providers around that take your insurance, I would continue
to look around for someone to give you the value for your money self spent. Often, a lower profile therapist, not a " big box" can
give you the time . Does your physician have a good recommendation for therapy? or have you already been going to his / her recommendation?

How is your neck? and has anyone looked at or talked about your neck. Unfortunately, most segments of our body are connected
in some fashion and cannot always be compartmentalized for local success.

Good luck

Ribjoint

i would certainly agree. I am at 10 weeks post op. complete tears . The Labrum, & Tares. also had shaving of bone. Since pt started 3 wks ago noticed a lot a improvement. I have very good communication with therapists working together, and give the info on progress to my Dr. I started my own therapy with over dozen exercises Dr gave to start first day after surgery. Had sling on first 6 wks except during exercises, and washing. It seemed like it would be forever, but have learned that each is different, and if you follow what Dr says and no shortcuts it will get better. Going into this I knew at 59 y/o realistically my tendons will not heal like a 21 y/o. ;-) ... just remember those you read about through this forum and on the web, may not be telling you that they are not doing their therapy regularly 3-4 x's daily as told to. Yes the stretching will hurt. Ever hear of therapy that does not. Keep going, and make sure you communicate well with Dr and therapists. If yours does not seem to be doing well, find another recommended by your Dr. Good luck. If you want to keep up with my progress let me know. We all are in the same boat.

i had surgery 6 months ago and it hurts more than it did before surgery. it said two large tendon tear the one in the back and the one in the front. my shoulder doesnt seem to want to stay in the socket it rides forward. after reading these posts i too have noticed how the physical therapist doesnt say much on whats going on with my shoulder. i hurt it at work . i have told my doctor how much it hurts and how physically demanding my work is but yet he still sent me back to work . hes so out of touch with the real world. this whole chapter in my life is so depressing how everyone thinks your faking it then the bean counters trying to cut corners. it took 4 months from time of injury till the operation to fix it . i learned what the word atrophe means . imagine using all of your strength at least 10 times a day that is how demanding my work it . i just know its gonna take me reinjuring myself again for them to realize this injury has taken me out of my line of work. that surgery kicked my but

I had keyhole surgery 14 weeks ago for anterior shoulder instability. My shoulder has frozen up and just won't improve. I had my other shoulder done 10 years ago (when I was 17) and had the same problem. Surgeon and physio both said some people just scar up (inside) different to others and despite hammering the rehab exercises the shoulder just won't move because of the scar tissue. Anyway I've got a couple more weeks and if it doesn't loosen then surgeon said I have to go back to surgery to have it loosened. The put u under then try to manipulate it without surgery but if it doesn't get the required movement the operate to loosen. My rehab hurts a tonne and I don't get anywhere but u gotta try. All I can recommend is if it's not loose enough to consult your surgeon as they can advise a solution.

WDC i watched my wife go thru surgery and PT just as prescribed and she has peoblems 3 years later I have had both shoulders done and do the same pt first shoulder is fine. Im having trouble with th e second. (typing one handed right now) Its not always lack of PT or someone not following instructions.

Tony

Just reinjured my left shoulder after bankart repair in 2006. Scheduled for surgery on right shoulder for bankart repair next week. Feels like life is c**p. Wish there was a better fix for this. No one seems to take it serious in medical field.

I had surgery too would like to chat with u my dr said its a little frozen help

I had Bankart surgery at the end of July. I now have 95% range of motion if i lift my arm forwards and above my head. (hope you understand what i mean..) I also have good range of motion on the lateral raise. My external rotation is pretty much non existent. I have been doing all my exercises and stretching it just isn't coming back! going to see the specialist again on tomorrow

In reply to your question, Yes get a second opinion!!

I had two rotator cuff surgeries in seven months. I understand. 5 months actually isn't that much time in recovery. It will take at least a year. I also had/have the cramping in arm muscle, still have swelling. Ibiprophen really helps. Continue to be faithful with therapy. Do it at home also. I do pulleys...crawl the wall...pedulem swings, raising pole over head too when lying on bed. I hear the clicking, popping, etc also. I think all that is normal. Continue to do therapy...to the point of pain...then stop. ICING IS THE KEY!! AND SLOW RELEASE IBIPROPHEN. Hang in there. This too shall pass. I don't think we will ever be 100 % again. I had frozen shoulder on top of all this...bone spurs also. I am starting to finally start feeling some release. Good luck! I will be praying for you all!!