Hi, I am just at 3 months post-op having had a significant multiple anchor Rotator Cuff repair and Reattachment of Bicep. First, I did not realize just how hard this recovery was going to be, I began PT a month ago, pretty passive.  Now things have tightened up A LOT, I work with a good Therapist he really knows shoulder injuries, , he has me do a little more each time and I push myself but by the time its over I hurt so bad I feel like getting sick.  The Therapist knows its difficult, I'm no wimpy person but PT has me in tears, the bicep is spasm' so bad.

The pain goes into the collar bone, up my neck and of course my arm and down, Sleeping is 24 hours of mini-naps, I have even lost my appetite due to the pain, I eat but very little. I take pain meds, and use Ice alternating with heat. To avoid constipation I've altered my diet some, eating yogurt, fiber and liquids. I'm concerned that at 3 months it feels so little in progress, I KEEP my therapy dates and don't baby my arm at home to keep it moving in the way I was told. I do see a little progress, but NEVER NEVER thought this was going to be this difficult. I heard of "FROZEN SHOULDER" and wonder how does one know if you have that.I get really sad now, frustrated and don't know what to do, no one seems to understand how hard it is, I don't really have anyone to help me, my son does a little but goes to college. 

Did anyone's other should start feeling strained since their RC repair ?

Thank you for your input.

I am sad to hear you are having such a hard time. I had rotator cuff surgery 4 months ago with multiple anchors, spur removal, decompression, and a lot of work on the labrum. I had my first PT the day after surgery. My doctor was not very strict about wearing the sling (I threw it out after the first few days). The pain has been terrible and the progress a LOT slower than I ever expected. HOWEVER, my pt and my doctor say that I have made above average progress. I was very active and worked out prior to my surgery. I have returned to activities approved by my doctor. I'm still in pt twice a week. I have been fortunate to not have anything near a frozen shoulder. I wonder how long the pain will last. 

I suggest continue pt as often as you can get it with a very good therapist. Ice is always your friend. Stretch often. Biofreeze helps the pain before you work out your shoulder. 

Good luck! :-)

I had the same same identical surgery 3weeks ago ...I'm still in a lot of pain.shooting pain down my arm and pins and needles in my thumb.I use a sleep aide.call melatonin.it really works well for me.I started OR this week.and after that I felt so much pain.I had to take pain meds and lay down.this is the most painful surgery I have ever experienced.I have had a lot of help.but still It doesn't take the pain away.I'm calling the surgeon tomorrow.because I don't know if this is normal with these systems I'm having.hope u get better soon.

yes, to your question about your non-surgical shoulder. Mine is feeling very strained, sore, irritated, even though I began 'practicing' using it before I had the surgery 10 days ago. I hope the discomfort in that arm will improve as it becomes strengthened from routine use. I am trying hard not to expect that arm to do the work of both arms - or i will be in real trouble!
i am also having some odd pain and discomfort in the post-surgery arm; I presumed (hoped) this was due to damaged nerves healing, etc. I have so many friends who've had it done who assure me that they thought they'd never be back to themselves again, but now have returned to work ( including teaching phys. ed.; a heavy equipment operator; a day care provider, a garden nursery owner, etc.). All of them were honest in saying it took a full year of PT before they felt 'right'.

I am 4.5 weeks out from surgery and still having identical issues...so good to hear I am not alone. Wondering if you are much improved now.

I have just had a rotator cuff repair and bone trimmed arthroscopically, Unlike most of the above I have reduced meds on day 7 and although uncomfortable not in very much pain. i have been doing pt from day 1 only passive exercises given by physio. just to reassure people not everyone has horror stories as above. Unfortunately I read these comments before the op and was very nervous about post op.

is your current pain worse than before surgery? I have a partial tear of the tendon & have limited use of that arm, so am wondering if the surgery is really really worth it, or if just putting up with this mild discomfort and some lack of activity is better than surgery? Do post RC surgery patients ever get back to pre-injury levels?

basically, should I have surgery, or not?????????