I had orthoscopic surgery repair for a rotator cuff injury one year ago. It seemed to be recovering properly inicially but after about 10 months it became obvious that it wasn't doing well. I returned to the surgeon and was told that it didn't take and that I would have to have the surgery again and this time he would make an incision to correct the problem. When I told him I had trouble holding anything, even something light, with my arm at a 90 degree angle and palm up he said that was my bicep tendon and that he would repair it by severing the tendon and then re-attaching it to the arm bone. When I told my physio this he said it would comprimise the stability of the joint forever and should only be done in situations when the tendon is so badly injured it's the only solution. My physio feels that once the rotator cuff is repaired and the frayed fibers of the bicep tendon are trimmed the bicep should then recover properly. I'm now concerned about having it done and don't really know what to do. I'm 59 and lead an active life and want want to make the right decision to so I can return to doing the activities that I love to do. I hope someone can help me with this problem. thank you.

I had a rotator cuff surgery 3 years ago and I am experiencing problems again in the supraspinatus tendon and in the biceps tendon as well.  I would like to hear about how your case evolved.  It was a while ago. I suppose your email has changed but I will try anyway.  Any input would be greatly appreciated   

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I tripped over my grand-daughter March 17, 2012. I landed on my shoulder hitting the side of the turned over rocking chair. I ripped my long head bicep off the bone and out of the groove. I also snapped my subscapularis in two. April 2012 I finally had surgery. It was a terrible injury and painful surgery. Beginning therapy was horrible pain. I also did as told to the T. I was faithful with therapy. Returning to work the first week of August...I pulled back and heard a horrible pop and my arm went on fire. I talked to my therapist later that week. She was sure it was probably scar tissue. I continued the month of August thru mid-Sept. in therapy...but my arm was continuing to stay swollen and very painful. After another MRI...turns out I tore the bicep off the bone again...and ripped two more of my rotator muscles. A second surgery was required in Nov. 2012. There is NO way I would let them cut my bicep in two. It will NEVER be the same again. I would avoid it at all costs. Get another opinion. That is an EXTREME measure...that I fear you will live to regret. My surgeon said my arm would probably never be the same again. I am continuing therapy...but it very hard. My arm stays swollen and I lack strength alot also. Lots of clicking of bones...cramping in tendon often too. I not only had more injuries...but frozen shoulder also from "favoring" my right arm. My suggestion would be: NEVER LET THEM CUT YOUR MUSCLE IN TWO. NOOOOOOOOOO WAY!! I am very surprised you are lifting weights, especially so early in recovery. That may be a reason you are struggling. Too much too soon perhaps? Take it easy...and get a second opinion. Do you "crawl the wall" with your arm? That seems to help. I also do it in the shower when hot water is hitting my shoulder. Good luck!! Nitasong

So in Sept. of 2012 I had surgery done on my right shoulder. The surgery entailed the rotator cuff, bicep tendon, labrum , a/c joint and scar tissue/ bone spur clean up. It is now middle of feb. 2013 and i cannot lift my arm past 60 degrees either in the front of me or straight out to the side. I cannot turn my palm upwards if I lift my arm out to the side. I am now going in for a second opinion. It isnt so much that there is a lot of pain to deal with as the fact that I just cannot raise my arm any higher than 60 degrees. It literally stops. Not happy about  the idea of another surgery but I want this fixed.

I had RC and bicep tendon repairs, along with bone spur removal and cleaning out of scar tissue Feb 4th-the most painful surgery and recovery I have ever endured BUT...I can lift my right arm and point at the ceiling, place it behind my head and finger crawl-no strength yet but every day I do my PT exercises I gain that much more flexibility -I hope by spring to be doing everything I was before the accident-stay strong, and get a second opinion because no one knows you body better than you do. I am a 54 year old woman and had a great surgeon and have an awesome Physical Therapist.

I had rotator cuff and biceps tendon sugrery on right shoulder in July.  Last week I had a second surgery on same shoulder for continued pain and stiffness.  Surgeon had to clean out some broken off stitches and shave down more of the bone to make more room for movement.  Certainly not as painful as the last surgery but not far behind.  Just hoping I will be able to sleep in my bed again instead of the recliner like I have for the last two years.

just wondering how u r doing I had the same surgery same day!
was hoping to compare notes maybe,,,,,

It's been about 9 weeks since the surgery. The first 6 weeks were terrible, I was so scared that it didn't work and I was back to square one. The pain in and around the joint was extremely bad. Every day for about the last 10 days its been getting a litle better each day. At this point I'm optimistic that the issue will finally be resolved, fingers crossed!
What's your status after your surgery?

I had rotator cuff and bicept tendon surgery 2 months ago and was concerned about my progress and thepain.  From the posts I have read I need to slow down and count my blessings.  I think the posts were very helpful.

i had rotator cuff repair, subscap, bone shaved, bursitis cleaned out 11 weeks ago. doing very well with rehab...range of motion good, strength fair, but improving weekly.  i do some kind of stretches at home each day.   in PT 3x week for four weeks, then last three weeks 2x week.  as of yesterday, i have weird tingling sensation in shoulder.  as if the stim is being applied. (btw, stim is NOT being used.)  is this the nerves from four incisions regenerating?  any experience with this sensation.  it's creeping me out. it's like an electrical current in a very small area of shoulder that i can't exactly pinpoint.

thanks for your help.

It's been almost 5 months and I believe I'm as close to 100% as I will ever be. My range of motion gets better ever week, my strength is slowly increasing. But mostly I've only had three minor incidents of pain in or around the rotator cuff. Hang in there everbody!

hi my name is Betty just  had rotar cup and bicep surgery on 10/17/14. doctor  wanted me to go back to work in 6 days because it was workman comp. i haven't even begun to heal and the pain and trying to get any sleep is unbelievable. i feel 6 days after surgery and going back to work on light duty is a bunch of crock. when am i suppose to have time to recuperate.

I had surgery in Sept 2014- complete tear of the rotator cuff (Supraspinatus) was off work 3 weeks. (No way would I go back after a week!) In my 6th week I was pushing a chair and heard an awful ripping/tearing sound in my arm. I heard this might be scar tissue- or might be the bicep or peck muscle. Surgeon said they have to wait 12 weeks to do MRI- any earlier would still show previous damage that was not completely healed. So I continued PT for another 6 weeks- losing more mobility- in more pain- unable to sleep- (recliner was looking good again). Finally at the 12 week mark Surgeon said they could do another MRI to determine the extent of the damage- they are right now thinking I retore the same rotator muscle and possibly another muscle. Waiting on those results- But have been told another surgery will most likely be done- and I will have less use of my arm (before they were shooting for 90%).. so frustrating. Main worry is how much use of my arm will I really get back. Anyone with any information?

I had rotator cuff surgery August 20th, 2014.  I have religiously gone to PT 3x and now 2x per week.  I am now up to 2, 3 and 5 pound weights.  since starting with weights I have a constant clicking including irritation in my shoulder.  Also, I am having problems with one range of motion that the PT says is my bicep tendon.  Today the PT lessened the weights and had me do more stretching and icing to reduce the inflammation. Now I am worried that the bicep tendon is beign strained.  Anyone have rotator cuff surgery then the orthopedic needing to go back and move the bicep tendon?

Please tell me your doctors name..so, I won't see him